Reasonable pay for a junior web developer?

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Reasonable pay for a junior web developer?

Postby abathor on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:38 pm

I have just started as a junior web designer/developer and have been offered a starting salary of £14,000 per year, and was wondering if people here who work in that industry think that is reasonable or not. I know it's priceless to me for the experience alone, but I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe £16,000-£18,000? Apparently this will be reviewed in 3 months time. I am planning to formally agree to working for this pay tomorrow, but hope to negotiate it a little bit higher. What would you do in my position?
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Reasonable pay for a junior web developer?

Postby Habboi on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:43 pm

No idea since I don't develop websites but since this is your first I would accept it for now and be glad you got the job. In the future you can always earn more since you'll have experience in your sexy eyes.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 pm

£14,000 seems incredibly low (I worked in a Call Centre for more than that) but that also depends on where you are. In London I would expect 16-17k minimum.

It also depends what you'd be actually doing and what skills you have.

If I were I'd do a bit of research on similar jobs and see what wages they average at and maybe use that as a way to go for more. If you show you've put a bit of research into it and you're not an idiot they may think twice about taking you for a ride.

However it's not all about money and if you think it'll get you that first door into professional web development then it might be silly to turn it down.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby KILLA-COW on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 pm

KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Web Design & Development