What's the demand for...

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

What's the demand for...

Postby Berusadeankan on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello Interlopers!

I'm currently having loads of off hours at my work, cause we just finished a huge project.
So i want to feel productive and get my hands dirty. My quesion is: What's the demand for a complete cms tutorial? It would be built with PHP and mySQL, with some jQuery to keep things seksy. I'm probaly going to do this tutorial even if there is no demand, but just in case i'd like to get some input on this. Anything you want me to include? Anything you don't want me to include?

I would ofcouse release the source aswell, for those lazy people (Like me) who just want to see it in action. And i would love to see some life in this forum again!
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular

Re: What's the demand for...

Postby Terr on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Zend Framework FTW.

I don't know. I mean, a CMS etc. is pretty generic, as opposed to being a Source-engine kinda thing.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Berusadeankan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:06 am

I probaly won't go into frameworks... Though i admit that they are nice and seksy, i prefer writing my functions straight from the core. Not that it's better, but i just like it that way! :)

Well, a CMS is the fondation of a good portfolio website. And i've been seeing loads of portfolio websites coming up here latly :)
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular

Postby Terr on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 am

Zend Framework isn't so much a "framework" as a cohesive collection of utility classes: It's very much the buffet style of PHP library. Just want to use the CAPTCHA code? Sure. Only the configuration management utilities? OK. Just the PDF generator? No problem.

Pretty much each of these ~65 sections in the guide can be used independently of all the others, and it helps accomplish a lot of handy stuff you don't really want to have to write for yourself.

Sure, there's an MVC side to it, but can use just the view classes, or just the form validators, etc.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Berusadeankan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 am

I agree that having such a collection of "ready-to-use" classes is sweet as hell, but you don't really learn anything about the core of php. When i build my systems here at work, i allways have a pile of functions that i just throw in (Sql classes, template classes etc...), and i do realise that a framework is almost the same. Yes, frameworks are awesome, it speeds up the development of applications and they are so easy to use. But, again, if you dive right into them, you miss out on alot.

Basicly, when you're building a website: Use a framework. But when you're writing a tutorial, don't! :) You do understand what im trying to say, right? To early in the morning for me to go hyper on english, and the coffe here ain't that effective either! :(
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular

Postby static07 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 am

If you mean on interlopers?
I don't think there's a high demand for that, there are plenty such tutorials on the internettubes...

However, if you could put the effort of making that tutorial in a CMS backend with a easy "framework" to build a portfolio front end on. (with tutorial on how customizing it). I believe many interlopers would be very happy.

I use the term framework here more literally, no fancy templating engine (PHP IS a templating engine) but just the fundations where one would only need to slap some HTML and CSS on. Let ppl focus on just the creative part, and not have to worry about the timeconsuming effort of creating a fully featured CMS that has a good performance and is secure...
static07
Regular
Regular

Postby Berusadeankan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 am

Now that is the information i need, thanks!

So, there is no real need to understand all the elements of a CMS? No need to dig deep through the code and explain line per line? Sounds logical since this aint really a webdevelopment forum.

But when you're talking about customizing it, what exactly do you mean? Design, functions or simple layouts? Then perhaps it would be more interesting in writing an easy-to-use portfolio engine, that is built to be customized? I can see that beeing done pretty easy and fast.

This input is awesome, thanks to you two!
Berusadeankan
Regular
Regular

Return to Web Design & Development