Experimental concept for a portfolio website

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Re: Experimental concept for a portfolio website

Postby magoc on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm

I think you should show more than 1 screenshot because you're not a professional. If I don't have a good idea of what the map is like then I'm less likely to download it. what you could do is keep this size of the main image and vertically place a couple thumbnail sized on the right of it:

||||||||||| |||
||||||||||| |||
||||||||||| |||

As far as gradients go, personally I wouldn't do it with your color scheme and layout. I think it'll look a bit forced and will make it look amateurish. If you want to do it anyway my advice it to use subtle gradients. And don't even touch the bevel and emboss ;)
magoc
Regular
Regular

Postby krainert on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks.

I'll consider your solution for screenshots but I think I'll stick with just one for now. Honestly, my general opinion is that if you can't take one screenshot good enough to make the map look interesting, at least one of two things is wrong: Either your mapping/choice of screenshot is too poor to show, or the viewer is a lazy f--- who you wouldn't want anything to do with anyway. I'm sorry if that came out a bit harsh, but if someone considers hiring/inviting an artist, I'd expect him to at least take the 30 seconds to see his work in the right context rather than just judge by static pictures.

Aaanyway, I played around with gradients. If you can abstract from the horrible quality of those I applied now (sides), how's it look? I honestly don't know what to think myself...

(I'll just post the link once more in case one of those lazy bastards is out there reading this. Coming to think of it, I'm asking you for help so I should probably be grateful anyway. Damn!)
Outdated
Last edited by krainert on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby magoc on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Sure, no problem it's your site after all. I just posted that to give an idea how you could do it, not how you should. :D

It depends on how you use the portfolio site I guess. If your referring to it after someone saw one of the maps in action you may be right.

But I think that if a developer would scour (the many) portfolio's in search of a leveldesigner he'd like to have a handful of pictures that give an overview of your map instead of actually playing the thousands of maps you and many other mappers make. That's not a case of being lazy or not, it's a case of a crowded market and being busy. You're the one wanting to be a leveldesigner, and you're not alone in that. If you are mailing a developer with a link to your portfolio, you better give them something to see or your application will go to the bottom of the pile. And imho you should want to stand out of the crowd.

Note: I'm no leveldesigner or have the wish to be, and have no real knowledge of how you get hired in the gaming industry. But I think that it'll work the same in every field.

I was contacted by a developer once though, and that was because I made a mockup of a new and improved GUI of their game which got a lot of attention from the other betatesters. They could see directly what I could do for their game. Sadly they were they 'shoot and forget' type that said "We want to collaborate" only to be never heard of again. That developer has that name in the community and the game itself isn't that great imo so I dont know if I should be sad it didn't work out or be happy my name isn't attached to the game/developer. The experience itself would've been cool though.
magoc
Regular
Regular

Postby krainert on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll start with one screenshot, though, and see what happens. Also, I'm not aiming to go pro for at least five years (if I ever decide to even try - I may just go with programming (for which it's also easier to get a job (and it's probably better paid (and I can work in Denmark (and there's not nearly as much pressure (and it relates directly to my current studies))))). What I'm trying to say is, the portfolio is just to have a base for my maps and something to show off for noncommercial mod work.

Yeah, I've also tried being contacted by (or getting a reply from after contacting) people who then never wrote back. It's a pain in the ass, but there's probably not much to do about it but find trustworthy people and use their connections. Cool they liked what you did, though!

EDIT:
Almost forgot to ask, what DO you think of the current gradients? Anything else I should engradientizificate?
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby magoc on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:21 pm

I think it works well. Subtle enough to not mess up the 'feel' of it and it draws your eyes to the center and makes it pop.

That's the annoying thing, they contacted me. I got my hopes up and then they just never wrote back.
magoc
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:33 pm

I just did a little edit job on a screen shot to show some spacing changes I think would help a little. I am big on alignment and some things just stick out.

If you look, I aligned the left and the right text in the header to be in line with the width of the pictures. I also added some space on either side of the pictures and made the space equal to the space from the bottom of the header to the top of the text above the picture.

This is just my thoughts on what could help it look better... But it is looking better and better as you go...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Grand.

And yes, MayheM, I see your point. I'll try doing something like that and write back once it's up.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby krainert on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 pm

That's... Pretty good. Thanks. Not only does the maps page look better (and did I get the column 32 px wider), the other pages are a lot easier to read too.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MayheM on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Glad to help... looking good!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Hey again :)
Just figured I'd let you know I finished the site today...
removed
There aren't many significant changes, but please do let me know if you have any comments. Besides from the omg-just-one-pic-per-map which I may change once I get some better maps to show off.

EDIT:
Oh, and removed now redirects to removed which marks the final death of my old site. For some reason I'm not entirely sad :wink:
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Previous

Return to Web Design & Development