Experimental concept for a portfolio website

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Experimental concept for a portfolio website

Postby krainert on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 pm

Hey,

I was (once again) reconsidering the possibilities regarding level design portfolios (as my current one sucks donkey ass, and I really want to substitute something better and more original) and came across this idea:
Making a website entirely from HL2 textures and text/screenshots in custom image based containers - probably depicting torn up paper and Polaroid photo frames taped onto the wall. Here's the layout so far (subject to MASSIVE change regarding sizing and, perhaps, choice of textures):

Outdated

What do you think? Will the concept last? How about copyright and such - am I even allowed to use Valve's textures like this?

Thanks.
Last edited by krainert on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Experimental concept for a portfolio website

Postby static07 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 pm

I wouldn't use valve's textures no.

It might work, but keep load-times in check. Also I think pieces of torn posters would work better than polaroids.
static07
Regular
Regular

Postby Surfa on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:29 pm

I won't do that at all honestly I would try to keep the visual noise on your website to a minimum and draw the focus to the actual content rather than the site itself. Unless you are going into web design then I would recommend being flash but not going over the top. But still content is more important than the site itself. I hate to bring this up again but it really is a perfect example.

http://www.philipk.net/
Pow name
Pow work
Pow small explanation
Pow Resume

All done with no fuss and you leave with all the information you needed.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby staberas on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 pm

The site structure should be as sufra said name,work,details,resume . As for the visuals try something nice & fast to load .
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby krainert on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

The whole "fast to load" thing is almost obsolete today (with most people having 5-20 bit download rates), but I see your point.

I agree regarding site/content attention, though, I should probably go with something more simple. It's just hard to make something distinctive without using large custom graphics.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Major Banter on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Ugly textures. Unless you're showing off entirely industrial/grunge maps, I should try something cleaner.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah, I know. I really like the industrial theme and often build maps around it which is why I picked those textures in particular. I've trashed the theme, though, and will start working on something a bit more simple soon. I've also got Underground to finish, though, and that spook group effort so I'll leave this thread now :) Thanks for the input, all.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MayheM on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I don't know man, I looked at your link and then as surfa's. I think the busy background you have going on there will detract from your work. I would say go for a more minimal look to get the viewer to concentrate on your work more. Right now it looks like a site for texture design rather than level design... That's just my two cents though...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I got some stuff put together:
Outdated
Don't mind the stretched screenshot.

What do you think? Simple enough?
Last edited by krainert on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Ennui on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Simple enough, better than your original idea. It needs more spacing though, it looks quite cramped (especially vertically). Additionally you might want to pick a primary layout color - monochromatic is nice but even better when accented by a single color (pretty much whichever you want will work). I also am very turned off by the choice of Century Gothic, but that's more personal preference than a criticism.
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby krainert on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks. And yeah, I'm considering using a more unique font for headlines and a more generic one for the rest. I'll increase general spacing and check out some colors too.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Surfa wrote:I would recommend being flash

No. Just no.

It's way more professional and worth spending your time; making a decent xhtml/css/php/javascript website than spending time in flash. Flash is just something that grew bigger than it was intended to be; and it was certainly not meant for websites originally. Also it's less user-friendly and has no search engine optimization/capabilities. Also you force your visitor to have flash installed in order to view your website.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Flash makes me puke, so no worries... That's the last thing I'd do.
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:11 pm

OVRKLL wrote:The whole "fast to load" thing is almost obsolete today (with most people having 5-20 bit download rates), but I see your point.

i cant speak for the entire world, but any increase in local internet speed decreases the amount of loading patience i have as by the same amount. so. yeah.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby krainert on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:17 pm

I've used Philip's portfolio as reference as I must agree with you that it is extremely functional (although I find it could use some minor corrections). Comparing my current layout with his at this point, I have to say the dark theme, which I had actually tried to avoid, is extremely comfortable to look at. Psy's site (http://www.aarongarcha.net/ - although he keeps changing things. Right now it looks kind of screwed) is dark, too, and also works pretty well. So, is it generally preferable to work with bright text on a dark background? This is probably a basic question, but I have no sense of web aesthetics what so ever.

EDIT: zombie:
Well, I see your point but only to some degree... The entire site took less than half a second to load here (20 mbps) so even with a 5 mbit connection the delay should be below two seconds. Think you can wait that long? ;)
krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Next

Return to Web Design & Development