cp_egypt

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: cp_egypt

Postby [JFG]Propaganda on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:41 pm

YokaI wrote:And this un-named individual is?


Does it matter? I won't drag peoples names in here, but I will say he is a member here, and if he wants to comment he will. That being said this thread has turned into something it shouldn't be and it's very disrespectful to Heyo, I am done debating this with people that are likely still in high school and don't fully understand the corporate world.
Image
[JFG]Propaganda
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: cp_egypt

Postby YokaI on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:04 pm

[JFG]Propaganda wrote:
YokaI wrote:And this un-named individual is?


Does it matter? I won't drag peoples names in here, but I will say he is a member here, and if he wants to comment he will.


Alright, if he is a member here though you don't have to comment for him. :lol: This is a public forum after all, if he has something to say he can say it himself.

That being said this thread has turned into something it shouldn't be and it's very disrespectful to Heyo, I am done debating this with people that are likely still in high school and don't fully understand the corporate world.


First of all, nobody has said anything about Heyo. I, in fact, nominated him as best mapper in our community. Not only that but I congratulated him for his map and try to tell other people to drop the conversation because whether or not he got paid isn't really important. What is important, at least in this forum, is that his map is valve quality, if not better. You were the one saying it would be stupid to give away your map for free, which is ridiculous because valve doesn't HAVE to use the map at all. They ask for permission to use the map and the mapper can either say YES or NO. I was saying you would have to he half way out of your skull to say no, whether or not you get paid.
[JFG]Propaganda wrote:Yes he did, but not commercially, TF2 is a commercial endeavor. Whoever would give a huge company something for free is a sucker or needs their ego stroked.

Those aren't exactly "nice" words to say, even to others. Especially if you DON'T know if he got paid or not. It is safe to assume he did, but it is safer to not make assumptions. I agree with the fact that he probably got paid because this is valve, but I am not going to make assumptions and trump them as fact. Everyone here makes content for free, nobody here intends to get paid for work that isn't considered "professional" in the sense that we all "modify" the game using tools given to us for free.

Second of all, it is insulting in any context to discuss financial situations and is completely rude. Mother should have taught you that because it certainly not your business to discuss his financial life. Congratulate him for the map and quit arguing about whether or not he got paid.

Third, arguing with people by using their education level is retarded. I am a freshman in college and there are definitely seniors in high school who are smarter than I am. There are definitely people younger than me who are more gifted intellectually. There are definitely people in MIT who are smarter than me even though they are also the same level status as I.

Now besides getting petty, pissed, and argumentative because I said your argument lacks citations (because that is also something a highschooler should also know), please just leave it as it is. If you have anything to say to people, please PM the member because it isn't quite right to discuss this here.

Sauce wrote:lol @ the thought of valve not paying people for their maps.

valve have HIRED people in the past for making mods. They will pay for maps.


Again, I agree it is likely that they donated money for his efforts and his support to the game's development. However, we should probably take this conversation elsewhere. Discussing payment or other personal financial situations is rude in a public forum, like said above...

Please have further conversation be about the map itself... Which, I will say again, is an amazing map. :smt005
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:38 am

Re: cp_egypt

Postby [JFG]Propaganda on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 pm

YokaI wrote: Please have further conversation be about the map itself... Which, I will say again, is an amazing map. :smt005


Hear hear, we can agree on that it's top notch work and well deserved to be made official :smt023
Image
[JFG]Propaganda
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: cp_egypt

Postby Sgt Frag on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I haven't heard of Valve paying for releasing maps. Of course the intellectual rights belong to the author, that is why Valve HAS to ask permission. They DON'T have to pay because the author can refuse and they can release another map.
However, they would only pay for intellectual rights if at all in most maps as most maps use Valve artwork (textures, objects).

I have heard of Valve paying for custom artwork though as that is the sole property of the author. At the very least they'd need permission to distribute it for free and that's up to the author.
This map does fit in this catagory as it has a ton of custom content.
But whether or not they paid is business between Valve and Heyo. Probably neither of which cares to discuss it openly, this is how most business' run. Most busineses don't even want you to discuss your salry with anyone outside management.

Some authors would be more than happy just for the recognition of having their map made official. It doesn't have to be related to ego. It's a great honor for an official studio to recognize the work of a hobbiest. It's also great for an application for anyone who wants to make a profession out of mapping/modeling.
---------
Apart from that- back to topic:

Congrats Heyo. It's a great map and great assets.
Sgt Frag
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm
Previous

Return to Showcase

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]

cron