Outpost 16

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: Outpost 16

Postby trcc on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:26 pm

It was short but very well done. I like the part where you first enter the building and the chopper shoots through the walls and kill all the combines. When I saw the combines I was like "I'm done, GG" but then the unexpected happened. Nice atmosphere with the battles I did not get caught in a death loop, not too sure what people means by that O_O

Are the counters in the final fight models too?

1 thing that kinda ruined the beginning is I used the gravity gun and tried to break the windows. I tried all of them and I couldn't see anything because they were broken in shards but still one big piece, no big deal though :P I restarted.
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby m.anderson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 pm

Okay, Moddb.com finally authorized the updated release (version 2.0)

Again, here's the problems I addressed:

1. Getting caught in a "death loop" once discovered. Also, I made it more clear when you do get discovered.

2. Added additional voiceover to help people with some of the puzzles.

3. Found a glitch that prevented any of the action on the ground from happening. It's a freak physics glitch where the APC gets stuck in the ground that I hopefully fixed. If it persists, lemme know.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Pink Panther on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm

This is one of the most excellent mods I have ever played. Although it's criminally short, the level design, immersion, and flat out awe-inspiring effects leave me wanting nothing but more. Even though I realize this is a portfolio piece, my 4850 HD and 3 gigs of RAM had trouble but nothing got to the point of unplayable. You must make another installment, this was absolutely amazing and I'm going to be appalled if anyone doesn't find this to be enjoyable in one way or another.
"Here we go again..."
Pink Panther
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gradius on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Fantastic but you really need to limit visibility, the frame rate was awful. Some area portals could have stopped the outside from being entirely visible and in the shot up corridor just having you see a white texture instead of the skybox would have saved some fps. Other than that it's excellent. Alyx's VA was very good.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby coder0xff on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Played great on my HD4870 max settings. Not bragging, just letting you know that performance wise it isn't atrocious or anything.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Habboi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Alright. It was a little laggy at the start and my PC is pretty strong but it got better.

Um great detail and voice acting although the female was a bit quiet and I suggest you use software to raise the volume a little as the music was incredibly loud when it triggered for me.

I found it a little frustrating when those scanners came and I got bombed. I got no warning from Alyx as my view was looking at the distant Combine. Should have a lookout scanners line and if you did, I may not have heard it as I felt on edge with all the gunfire which is impressive but it let you down especially when you have to put that plank for Alyx. I literally shouted out loud WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO until she gave me that handy plank advice.

So I guess that means they need to stand out more, whether thats colour or have them stick out more rather than be flat against the surface.

Oh yeah are the lips meant to move for the NPC's or did you not do that?

Short but sweet. Thought the intro exlosion was awesome and overall good short fun. Erm I didn't like the music for the end fight. Just not my taste I guess.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dewkl on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:08 am

I expect most of this have been said but i'm going to write it down anyway. The autosave triggered right before one of the scanner came up and killed me. This happened two times so I lost both of my autosaves and had to start the whole thing over again. Since there was no lip sync I had trouble identifying who was talking with me during the last conversation. The third (?) breaking ledge obstacle was sort of trial and failure as the first one ensured me the pieces fell on a floor underneath, I just assumed the next one was going to be safe as well.

You used some "mixed music" from people like Hans Zimmer, is this allowed legal-wise? I'm not asking to be annoying, but out of curiosity. Also, how was the slow motion/temporary visual effect scenes done? Like after the walls explode from the helicopter blast.

I never had any problems knowing what to do (that includes the aforementioned ledge puzzles/sniper-parts in this thread). It was short, but damn was it high quality. It's probably the most refined HL2 map I've played, and that includes the official game. It's going to be perfect for your portfolio.
dewkl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby InterValve on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:56 pm

awesome map man.i had no technical problems with my version(is probably 2.0).the only thing I'm mad at is that in the screenshots you show the building from far out,but in the game you only see it up close.i hope if you guys continue this into a mod you will include a level down in the streets so we can admire the awesomeness of that structure.

also I would like to say that I din't died once in my playthrough.I was probably very well rested and could keep my focus at 100%. GG.
InterValve
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

WOOT, spotlighted.

Good job, Outpost 16: EPISODE ONE.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Assigir on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm

:shock:

it

looks

sooooo

awesome

best

hl2 beta art felling

I have EVER seen in a source map

Downloading
-science: nothing can be destroyed only transformed into new forms.
-me: true death is a lie there is only transformation, unless sciences very core is wrong.

http://oscarkujanen.weebly.com/
Assigir
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby m.anderson on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the spotlight Interlopers! Word!
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby jgoodroad on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:13 pm

It is well deserved! number!
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby 1447 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Congratulations with the spotlight, you deserve it.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sdematt on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Very well polished mod. The only bad part was where it ended. Please go work for Valve. Now.
De_oilyard: 70%

I can't wait for Black Mesa Source!

I've found my stay so far at interlopers quite good, and with a reasonable price.
They only took my soul.
sdematt
Regular
Regular

Postby sebmeikle on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

This mod looks really nice. But I keep getting stuck in this death loop on the ledge! Even when I'm really careful Alyx knocks the stuff off and we get caught. I Save just before I start on the ledge, yet it loads back just after we get seen.
sebmeikle

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase