Outpost 16

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: Outpost 16

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 pm

The map it's self was great, only real problem I had was the ledge, I had problems getting a piece of rubble into the window, I found it difficult to get the damn thing in there, it kept bouncing out.

Besides that one thing, the map was freaking awesome. Please continue mapping this, even though this map is sorta short, every second of it was epic.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby jgoodroad on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Gary wrote:The map it's self was great, only real problem I had was the ledge, I had problems getting a piece of rubble into the window, I found it difficult to get the damn thing in there, it kept bouncing out.

Besides that one thing, the map was freaking awesome. Please continue mapping this, even though this map is sorta short, every second of it was epic.

did you try jumping it? I did, it worked.
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Gary on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 am

No, I did not even think of that. Because of the low jump height in HL2 I didn't think I could clear it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 am

Gary wrote:No, I did not even think of that. Because of the low jump height in HL2 I didn't think I could clear it.

LOW JUMP HEIGHT!?!?! you can clear 12 step staircases in single bounds... WITHOUT SPRINT!
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Gary on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:15 am

It always seems that I can't jump high enough....

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Corigami on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:49 am

jump and crouch in midair.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 am

Ah, like in Halo.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby [JFG]Propaganda on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't play HL2 but watched the walk through vid, very well done, looks like some serious effort. Well deserved spotlight.
[JFG]Propaganda
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby m.anderson on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:50 am

Just thought I'd update you guys on my status (if yer interested in someone else's struggle to get a design job in videogames). I've gotten interest from a handful of major studios and have made the rounds at GDC. I did actually get the chance to have a sit down showing of my work with a Valve technical artist, and man, when talking to Valve, expect the unexpected. I was thrown for a complete loop.

She actually was REALLY turned off by the intro to my level. Apparently Valve really hates cutscenes, even if they are in game, a view that must have been recently cemented because I couldn't accurately understand the difference between mine and others in the original game, namely the first meeting of Alyx and Eli. She said "What is the player experience?" which I imagine is a Valve phrase for "gameplay." Basically, if you're hoping to get a job with Valve, I'd strongly advise to NOT have any type of sustained cutscene. The Valve artist didn't really discuss anything besides that one part of my level, as she was really fixated on it. Just wanted to throw you guys an FYI if you plan to apply there. I'm not bitter about the experience and I don't want to sound spiteful. I found their staff to be amazingly gracious and inviting. Just don't have cutscenes, in game or otherwise for over a minute or you'll lose their interest immediately, apparently.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:21 am

when i compare your scene to the scenes in Half-Life 2...

in your cutscene, all the action is taking place on the other side of the glass. And it goes on for about 2 or 3 minutes. It looks really neat and there should be no reason to hate it. However, in Half-Life 2's scenes, most of it is taking place right in front of the player, in the same room as the player, and the player is either addressed or is able to walk right into the middle of the conversation. Perhaps Valve is looking for a scene where the player is MOST able to physically interact with it. Most of the HL2 scenes that take place "behind the glass" have activities or objects to interact with or look at while the speaking is going on.

I am sure your mod resonated with them to some degree. The quality of your level is not to be ignored at all.

And of course, Outpost 16: Episode Two is bound to resolve any issues people may have had with Episode One.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:39 am

Though regardless... I think it is a little hypocritical of valve, which starts every episode with a video "recap" of what happened last time. Also, while valve uses and interesting way of directing the player through the environments WITHOUT cutscenes, I find that sometimes their either very predictable or they still feel very "railed" and basically hold your hand through the majority of what could have been a cutscene.

Examples:
- Half Life 1 : Being within the train, looking at "black mesa"
- Half Life 2 : Gman Talking to you for a while at the games introduction
- Half Life 2 Episode 1 : Being stuck under wreckage, having Dog pick you up
- Half Life 2 Episode 2 : Recap, Being stuck within the train
- Portal : Being stuck within the introduction room while glad0s talks to you.

It's important to note that these keep you within the perspectives of the characters, which may be what they want from you. However, I also feel that all valve does, typically, is mask a cutscene with brief player controls. It's an interesting approach, but I feel that as an artist I would expect her to be a little bit more open to the benefits of alternative story telling approaches.

It's good to know though, what to expect I mean.

edit2 : I feel bad, because it seems like a negative experience, and to be honest this work is far better than anything I've ever published. You can't really argue against that mindset unfortunately, since there's probably nothing one could do to change an opinion of someone as successful as the valve technical artist, atleast on this site anyway. However, I find the logic a bit insulting to the many other games that use cut scenes and use them successfully.
Last edited by YokaI on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 am

YokaI wrote:Though regardless... I think it is a little hypocritical of valve, which starts every episode with a video "recap" of what happened last time. Also, while valve uses and interesting way of directing the player through the environments WITHOUT cutscenes, I find that sometimes their either very predictable or they still feel very "railed" and basically hold your hand through the majority of what could have been a cutscene.

It's good to know though, what to expect I mean.

I was thinking something similar, not with the video recap, but with scenes that don't show anything happening nearby, and don't have anything for the player to fiddle with. Like at the end of ep2 after you defend the silo, the entire rest of the game is just a cutscene. And the only real action for the beginning chunk of it, is happening on a tv screen. Or anytime you're listening to alyx speak in the citadel.

Same with all the video transmission scenes scattered through hl2, ep1 and ep2.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 am

i think valve can afford to spend more than a few seconds on their scenes because each scene is filled with actual plot points. And of course, valve will try to break you down just so they can build you up stronger. So all in all, i think its not hypocritical...they are just testing the guy to see if he breaks or changes his stance on the issue
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby trcc on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 am

Did you come up with a good explanation of whats the player experience in that particular "cutscene"? Or did you freeze? If you can back up your design choices, whether it fits their vision or not, if you have talent you should be able to adapt to their way of telling the story.
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 am

Congrats on a nice mini mod. I watched your entire walk through and enjoyed it quite a lot. Nice portfolio also, you have quite a bunch of different stuff on there. Keep up the good work! Let us know where you end up working!
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase