Outpost 16

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: Outpost 16

Postby TicTac on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd post something, but everyone in here has said it already ;)
DLing now, looks amazing! Can't see anything (from the screens) that would prevent you from getting hired very quickly
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:48 pm

It's funny how things work out once a lot of people play a level - I wish I could be over your shoulders watching you guys go through this thing! I had a handful of friends play this and they seemed to get through it okay, but I take first responses pretty seriously.

I'm currently looking at solutions to these problems that are economically quick to do, but in the meantime keep the comments coming.

Thanks for taking the time to download this - I really, REALLY appreciate the feedback. I want everyone to have an enjoyable experience playing this, so if you get frustrated do let me know why.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby TicTac on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I had no clue what to do at the helicopter bit (when you get the crossbow), until I read phott's comment :3
If there's something you need to work on, it'd be making the objectives more apparent. Perhaps have the sqad say "Shit! They've got soldiers on the ground, too, now!" to clue the player.

[EDIT]
Oh, now I know why I didn't notice them... There were no soldiers first time I played :s I'm not sure if they were killed or what, but the APC and metro cops didn't even make an appearance until I restarted...
Last edited by TicTac on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Everything everyone have said and one more +1 AWESOME and +1 WIN to you.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Update:

I just opened up my map and addressed the "death loop" issue, among other tiny things to make it more clear what happens once you get "discovered." I'm also in the process of getting a hold of my voice actor to record more dialogue to help people out with the puzzles. The updated release should be out sometime today (maybe around 5:00pm pst).

Update #2:

found the APC and metrocop glitch - was a wierd physics bug. I did everything I could to fix it so now it's on Source to not get screwy.
Last edited by m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Jman on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 pm

If you're still making edits I could make those arches out of models for you instead of you having to use the brush based ones you currently have. (I'd just need a dxf of all the arches together exported) I think it'd make that area look a lot more complete.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Arches? you mean the "waveceiling" at the end, right? They are models.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:20 am

m.anderson wrote:Arches? you mean the "waveceiling" at the end, right? They are models.

There is no way in hell you could've done that in brushes and got everything to compile properly anyway.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 am

As a portfolio piece, it is clear that you have a firm grip on Hammer and level design.

I had no problems navigating the entire mod. I found the solutions to all the puzzles in a quick manner and survived the entire ordeal on Hard mode. The only issue I had was a frame rate drop during the final battle. The plug/socket puzzle doesn't follow the conventional rules but when have mods ever done that? It's a neat way of clearing a path, although I can't think of a single reason for there to be a huge junk magnet mounted on a building... :) whatever

The helicopter is highly aggressive, perhaps you could tone it down a little bit. But again, that's what a chopper is supposed to be so I can't argue too much if you refuse.

Perhaps turn some of the smaller physics objects into "debris" so I'm no tripping on little clocks and soda cans.

I know lip syncing would take forever, but it would make this product shine even more. Also, you should change the name of the mod to "Outpost 16: Episode 1" because I think the community will join up and murder you if you refuse to continue this mod.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby m.anderson on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 am

Just uploaded a new version to Moddb.com that addressed the following issues:

1. Getting caught in a "death loop" once discovered. Also, I made it more clear when you do get discovered.

2. Added additional voiceover to help people with some of the puzzles.

3. Found a glitch that prevented any of the action on the ground from happening. It's a freak physics glitch where the APC gets stuck in the ground that I hopefully fixed. If it persists, lemme know.

The file is getting authorized by the site so hopefully everyone will have access to it tomorrow. I could keep fixing this damn thing for another year mostly because I made the game do things it wasn't meant to do. That doesn't mean I don't want to hear honest opinions - that's why I posted my work here, so keep it coming.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/outpost16/dow ... elease-v20

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:Perhaps turn some of the smaller physics objects into "debris" so I'm no tripping on little clocks and soda cans.

SON OF A -! I wish I read that before compiling, totally blanked out on that one. Oh well, like I said, I could do tiny fixes on this thing forever.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:45 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote: Also, you should change the name of the mod to "Outpost 16: Episode 1" because I think the community will join up and murder you if you refuse to continue this mod.

This.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Phott wrote:
joe_rogers_11155 wrote: Also, you should change the name of the mod to "Outpost 16: Episode 1" because I think the community will join up and murder you if you refuse to continue this mod.

This.

This.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby korge on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Phott wrote:

This.

This.

This.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ErikKiller on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:14 pm

korge wrote:
joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Phott wrote:

This.

This.

This.

This.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby source-maps on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 pm

ErikKiller wrote:
korge wrote:
joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Phott wrote:

This.

This.

This.

This.

Image That
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase