Legs in a Source mod? No way!

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Legs in a Source mod? No way!

Postby dark0r on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Yes way.

I spent a few hours adding legs to CSProMod last night, and want to know what people think:

[old link removed]

C&C welcome.

EDIT: updated with improved torso:
Last edited by dark0r on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: Legs in a Source mod? No way!

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 am

Code please.

Pretty cool, I've seen this in a few mods lately, You're is the first I've seen to rotate with movement direction and not the way you're facing.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:11 am

the real question is: can i shoot myself in the foot/leg and get hurt???

EDIT: please?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:55 am

Good work!

What bothers me though, and this is a problem with all games that have legs, is you look like a couple of arms attatched to legs. Where is the torso!? The hips are rarely in view! If I look even slightly down I can see my whole body.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:09 am

Mr. Happy wrote:Good work!

What bothers me though, and this is a problem with all games that have legs, is you look like a couple of arms attatched to legs. Where is the torso!? The hips are rarely in view! If I look even slightly down I can see my whole body.

ha, well in real life we almost have a 180degree field of view, that be a little disorienting trying to represent that kind field of view on a monitor.

Any time you move it'd feel like you were moving at light speed, and aiming would be difficult.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Look's stupid when you run, or maybe it's just the animations.

Here's a references from L4D I just took.. try to position it like this (able to see belly and legs are not so crazy ass far away)

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8617/l4dlegs.jpg

Edit: On the picture I'm looking 90 degress down, as far as you can with you're mouse, if that helps! :)
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby dark0r on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys, it's greatly appreciated. New video going up tonight hopefully.

Few things that have changed: the modeller's made a "legs" model so I'm not hacking around and clipping the current player world model. I can now look down vertically and you will see the torso.

I think to say how simple it is to implement code-wise, I'm honestly surprised it's not more widespread. I might post the code on VDC but obviously a feature like this does give CSP a competitive edge, so I'll have to speak to the team.
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 pm

The First person model should also have a head and arms just transparent(so the entire body cast shadow).

As I told you over Steam, it is freaking awesome. Hope you can release the code, or at least tell how you did it, though I do understand if you team doesn't want to, just don't let that keep it a secret forever.

Looking foward to the updated version.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby dark0r on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Full body shadow will come soon, I've already got it all set out in my head, except this is a little more complex.

Updated video (you can now see the torso!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7KGXUXg3A

EDIT: got permission to post the code on VDC, for those who are impatient, here's my current "hacky" implementation, I've got plans for a C_PlayerLegs class which would allow for full RTT shadows. Stay tuned.

For those impatient, here's my code at the moment.
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Keeps looking better and better man, keep up the good work!

You said RTT, What abouth meh depth shadows? Though, really that's up to any team that uses this as it's mainly a model thing not code(well, for depth shadows anyways).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Much better! Saw some of your other videos, dude if I could code like you I'd have finished my dream mod years ago. That UI fading thing, those are the type of details I want in my mod.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby dark0r on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Gary wrote:Keeps looking better and better man, keep up the good work!

You said RTT, What abouth meh depth shadows? Though, really that's up to any team that uses this as it's mainly a model thing not code(well, for depth shadows anyways).

Just whipped up a test map, indeed depth shadows do work. I'll post a video on them too soon, I'm just doing some Maths revision at the moment, then I'll jump straight on it.

By the way, CSP has none of the projected texture fixes yet, but believe me, this mod'll look even more awesome by the time I've finished with it. As I said, video coming tonight as promised!

Gary: get on Steam!
Last edited by dark0r on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

I'll be on tonight, I have been using a phone to post.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby dissonance on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:18 am

damn dark, this looks awesome!
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dark0r on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 pm

dissonance wrote:damn dark, this looks awesome!

Hey dissonance, thanks for the compliments. I'm sure you've done a project before (the one with the radioactive trees?), although it might be my memory failing me. Either way I'm SURE you've done something that I've appreciated, if I'm thinking of the right person, that is :D

Anyway, I've progressed a little bit further in that, players are now reflected in mirrors, and soon water reflections. However, I've stumbled across several complications due to VALVe's beautifully coded viewrender.cpp file:

• Views are massively inconsistent in their implementations, despite being derived from a single class;
  • Not all views set the current view ID;
  • Not all renderable drawing code checks whether renderables ShouldDraw() before DrawModel();
  • It is not possible to have water and real-time reflections in the same scene;

Therefore, before my leg tutorial, I will be posting an article on VDC named View Scene Improvements which, quote, "presents several solutions to the issues listed above, and consequently allows for cleaner, less restricted rendering code."
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Next

Return to Showcase