Portal Map: Take-Off

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Portal Map: Take-Off

Postby Sword of Apollo on Sat May 14, 2011 4:07 am

Take-Off is a large, highly tested and polished custom level for Portal 1.

Brimming with big secrets, custom models, and custom textures, Take-Off is almost certainly unlike any Portal map you have ever played. The observant player will find that the scope of Take-Off is much greater than just a Portal test-chamber.

This map is designed to be a moderate challenge for experienced players (Portal, Portal: The Flash Version/Still Alive, at least.) The difficulty ramps up significantly within the level. Solutions to puzzles NEVER require cheats or exploits, and all playable parts of the map are designed and tested to be reachable *without cheats.*

Once figured out, the solutions to puzzles in this map are designed to be as easy to execute as possible. However, given the types of puzzles in Take-Off, some finesse with control will be required. The required control should not be a problem for experienced players.

Take-Off includes the three challenges: Time, Steps and Portals. Getting the gold in Time and Steps will likely not pose a huge challenge for those who have completed the level, and are experienced in these types of challenges. The gold in Portals, however, is a serious challenge, and will be very difficult for virtually all players. I assure you, it IS possible to get the gold without cheats, just very hard.

Aesthetically, Take-Off is deliberately clean. I have, in general, avoided grungy accents and opted for a "perfect," streamlined look. Except where noted in the in-game credits, I created all custom props from scratch. Except where noted, I either created custom materials from scratch, or modified Valve's materials.

I think that those who play this map to its full potential, will find that it is a unique experience they won't soon forget. : )

Enjoy!
Sword of Apollo

Download Take-Off here.

Screenshots:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Last edited by Sword of Apollo on Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sword of Apollo

Re: Portal Map: Take-Off

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 am

those are some big claims you're making.

I'm downloading this now.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Oh god I can't wait to see what happens.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 pm

downloading
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 am

This was way too hard for me in some parts. It was only until I started noclipping around seeing all the absolutely ridiculous amount of stuff I missed that I figured this was way over my head. I tried figuring to out despite anything, and I could not.

I'm sure this is probably a great set of things, and from the look of it, a good deal of effort was put into it, but I'm far too dumb to figure all of this out.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 am

i'm stuck as well. i am not willing to noclip but i would thoroughly appreciate a walkthrough or at least some hints...so I can understand WTF i am supposed to do.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sword of Apollo on Sun May 15, 2011 6:31 am

Okay, I'm going to put a big

Spoiler Alert

over this thread and ask you (joe_rogers) where are you stuck? If you're stuck in the main level, I do provide some hints for the harder stuff in the thread associated with my map on ThinkingWithPortals.com (There is a giveaway there too.)

So, are you stuck in the main level, or are you stuck in a secret area? (Spoiler tags please, when describing any secrets.)
Sword of Apollo

Postby stoopdapoop on Sun May 15, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm also stuck as all hell.
Highlight to read:
I'm at the part where the map first opens up a lot, and there are several buttons around and a single energy ball dispenser. I know this isn't the best description, but it's the best I can come up with.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun May 15, 2011 2:50 pm

asking for a hint here...
Highlight to read:
i am in the very large chamber with buttons and the energy pellet. and i have activated the energy pellet (using diagonal surfaces). i have the metal ball and i have done the "ball fling" which allows me to pass through the red laser fence. now I am stuck at the fling after that, where the stairs spiral around and i am supposed to fly up into the air past the deactivated laser fence...not sure where the hell I am supposed to drop from to fly upwards...been wandering around looking for a spot for a while now, but i cant move the portal from below...lol. this is a very good map btw...i am just stuck, lol

Hey stoop:
stoopdapoop wrote:I'm also stuck as all hell.
Highlight to read:
I'm at the part where the map first opens up a lot, and there are several buttons around and a single energy ball dispenser. I know this isn't the best description, but it's the best I can come up with.

Highlight to read:
use diagonal surfaces to make the pellet fly into the catcher at an angle.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sword of Apollo on Sun May 15, 2011 11:04 pm

To joe_rogers:
There's a guy on ThinkingWithPortals.com who was stuck in the same place (I think it is common to be stuck there, because it is one of the most difficult puzzles to figure out in the map.)
Here are the hints that I gave him:

Hint 1:
Highlight to read:
As you can see, in order to reach that ledge, you NEED an accessible portal. So, no, using that ledge is not the solution to this particular puzzle. You have to find a different way to fling yourself up. Given the height that you need, your options are rather limited, and hopefully, this should drive you to a particular alternative.

Hint 2:
Highlight to read:
Remember that having that portal in the pit floor gives you access to that button from anywhere you can place an accesible portal.

Hint 3:
Highlight to read:
That failed (sparking) automated staircase is there for a reason. If you could get through the map witout using it (always portaling in and out of the inner building) there would be no need for it to be there.

Hint 4:
Highlight to read:
Remember what you did in the "fizzler hall"...?

Unless you have already tried to work with these hints, try these for now. If you need more, I can give you stronger hints.
Sword of Apollo

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am

alright i am again stuck. help, please...

Highlight to read:
I have reached the final button of the first large chamber, which is a timed button that opens the exit door for nearly 4-5 seconds. I jump from the button ledge down to the patch of concrete floor (where the energy pellet was bouncing) and fling out from the angled wall toward the exit door. The door closes at the very last second just before I reach it. It's frustrating to think that after so much impressive critical thinking, the final challenge of this chamber is to have lightning fast jumping/flinging reflexes. Unless there's something I'm missing...
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sword of Apollo on Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 am

Highlight to read:
No, you are doing the right thing. I have to say that I would prefer to make the intended solution easier to execute. I would add an extra half second to the timer, but the problem is that an extra half second would open up an alternative solution that I don't want. I wanted the door to just slam in the player's face if they did the best they could on the alternative solution (portal in the corner,) but just slide in in the nick of time if they used the intended (flinging) solution. But it is makeable as it is, if you do the following:

Make sure that your portals are pre-placed.
Test to find the best/furthest place from the button that allows you to activate it. This is going to be part way down the stairs on the right side of the platform.
Press the button, turn right, sidestep, move forward and jump immediately, in one motion. You are going to fly right at the door, and will probably hit the wall slightly above it. Make sure that you are pressing forward as you land.
If you do it fast enough, you will slide right in the door.
(You can't really take the time to gauge your jump, so it may take you more than one try to make it into your first portal, but as soon as you do, the battle is won. Also, if you miss to the side, you can replace the portal at the last moment.)

When I do this part, I make it a large percentage of the time (over 50 percent,) but then, I have had a lot of practice. I intended this map for experienced Portal players, so I figured my target player base would be good enough technically with the controls for this last part to not be too big a frustration. But knowing what I know now with player feedback, if I had the initial release to do over again, I would rework the geometry a little to hopefully make it easier, yet prevent the alternative solution.

Anyway, if in the end you find you really have to noclip through the door, I see no shame in that, since you do know how it is supposed to be solved, and the only thing that is preventing you is control.
Sword of Apollo

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon May 16, 2011 4:00 am

Highlight to read:
alright if you are talking about the corner nearby the exit door (on the right when facing the door from across the chamber), I don't see the problem with simply turning that whole corner into metal and creating a small light there or something to make it slightly interesting but not a part of the puzzle.

at least I'll be noclipping through the door with confidence.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby trcc on Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 am

Take-Off is a large, highly tested and polished custom level for Portal 1. :|
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Hollow on Mon May 16, 2011 5:45 am

yeah this mod is fucking huge and confusing. I wish I could figure half of it out. I had a little look around and in one level it literally made my jaw drop from epicness. I've never seen a concept like it implemented in portal before....didnt understand shit but, kudos.

I recommend you make a playthrough OP, seeing as you are currently the only person able to complete it haha
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Next

Return to Showcase