Gm_Apartment - A Single-Player Survival Horror Campaign

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Gm_Apartment - A Single-Player Survival Horror Campaign

Postby Sunabouzu on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 am

Hello one and all!

What we have here, is a small project I like to call Gm_Apartment. Remember those by-gone days of survival horror games, with their charming puzzles and characters that controlled like m1 Abrams tanks? Yeah me too! It sucks that there are literally none around these days, some of my best memories were from playing the Silent Hill games at 1 o'clock in the morning back when I was 12. Ahhh, childhood scarring. But I digress.

Gm_Apartment is a small single player map that re-creates the gameplay of those old Survival Horror titles. Explore an old deserted apartment building and discover what stories the previous residents left behind! Pick up items! Use them! Solve puzzles! The fun will literally never end!

Media:

Quick look at the map (video):

Teaser

Download Links:

Dropbox

Mediafire

Patches:

Patch 1

IMPORTANT INFO

Inside of the addons folder, there is a folder called new surfaceproperties. Read the readme in it. The new surfaceproperties will make it so that textures with the 'carpet' surfaceproperties will have new footsteps sounds. If you got annoyed like I was that carpets sound like dirt when you stepped on them, this map will fix it for you. It is completely optional.

The typewriter on the second floor is usable.

Who are these fine men working on this project?

Mr. Sunabouzu (Reason134): Handles the map, all the art assets, and planning.

Unrealomega: Coder. I'm pretty sure he just rolls his face up and down the keyboard, and sometimes computers understand what it means.

Phanterm: He tells me to change dumb ideas I have and really this entire thing would be a mess without his input. He will also beat you up in any fighting game ever.

Thanks to all my playtesters and the lovely people from Gangsta Gang Gaming for various grunt work!
Last edited by Sunabouzu on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sunabouzu

Re: Gm_Apartment - A Single-Player Survival Horror Campaign

Postby bitPanther on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

i like that first thing you see is "fuck you". very funny. i will play this.
bitPanther
Regular
Regular

Postby Sunabouzu on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am

I uploaded a fixed version. We noticed some really minor bugs that we missed at first. Can't have that. New version works perfectly fine.
Sunabouzu

Postby Turd Ferguson on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Ill give it a spin and report back soon.

jangalomph wrote:Listen. my avatar wants to be gay.. :|
Turd Ferguson
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby TheDanishMaster on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 am

Omg is it also here? Well GOD I loved it to the end :D

The story is pretty good, a little wierd, but good.

I have already recommended this to a few friends and they will try it out soon :)
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Vicpop on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 am

Trying really hard. spoilers

I finished the map just now. The map generally looked good. I liked the lighting in the main lobby/stairwell in particular. I didn't find it to be very suspenseful, especially since you get the idea pretty early on that there's not going to be any threat. The unlit room in the butterfly cage apartment with the two candles is a cool idea, though, since it's a plunge into darkness early on and the player doesn't know much at that point other than how ineffective the lighter is. (That said, I was half expecting there to be a point where you had to turn off the lighter since it's something you let the player do, but it didn't happen, and I don't think I ever turned it off otherwise since I could barely notice it being on in the first place.)

All the Lua stuff is cool. The inventory is nice and streamlined, and the typewriter was a neat touch.

In my opinion, the map's aesthetics don't really lend anything towards making the gameplay more unsettling, them at times being kind of cartoony (caricature painting, third floor graffiti, "surrealist" hallway around the ending), and I found the bits of written graffiti to be too extreme for their context and just found them kinda funny, although maybe this was the intention. The amount of SH-inspired events in the map (location, apartment room layout, dead guy in front of TV, butterfly cage room, use of cloth) and the references to nowadays almost obligatory bits of media (1984, that Erik Satie piece, Van Gogh and Edgar Allen Poe) make the game seem a bit predictable and take away from the overall experience. On the contrary, the My Little Pony references are OK since they're just speaking directly to the audience, they get out of the way quickly, and they seem like they're not part of the game.

The story seems like it was improvised at the end of development especially since it's all crammed into the super long text-only ending sequence, and the cliches and awkward phrasing in the writing and the loose explanation for the way the player dies along with the overly sympathetic backing music made me kind of annoyed. Scrutiny:

With a loud snap, possibly a crunch thrown in, everything I've become conscious of is gone.
This was confusing to me because I wasn't sure if you were trying to be shocking or if the character was making an ironic joke about his/her death.

My senses, once complicated and overrated
I think what you mean by overrated is that the character is OK with the lack of complex thought, but him/her saying that his/her senses were "once overrated" sounds detached from the main character, like someone else once thought of his/her senses as overrated. I think you were just trying to make the sentence flow well.

The text read "an woman" at one point.

The woman has handled many situations like this one. The man shivers with something approaching joy as he tears her arm off.
Saying "something approaching joy" is really general and doesn't send a specific meaning; I guess you mean he got some sort of thrill out of doing it. Being super blatant and saying that he "tears her arm off" is another thing where I can't tell if it's meant to be funny or shocking. Maybe both.

The small boy lived on a farm close to the apartment. He walks confidently down the road, head held high with pride and joy. Today the boy was an adult, he thought, as he had been asked to walk down to town and get food!
I'm a real man now!! Super cheesy

The flowers take his ears, and his nose just for good measure.
Funny/shocking/both? Cheesy in a Troma Team sort of way (terrible)

Me? Well I jumped off of a building that I thought was a hole in the floor. Never was one for angst-filled stories.
I don't see the connection between the hole in the floor and falling off of a building. It's out of nowhere and it's disappointing. Are there multiple endings? "Never was one for angst-filled stories" sounds really awkward to me.

Ultimately, though, I thought the map was executed pretty well. The puzzles were real basic but that said I always knew what I was meant to do (maybe prior knowledge having played SH). I stayed interested while I played it and it looked good. Sorry for the ridiculous post but hopefully it's helpful
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Sunabouzu on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:56 am

Hahaha, damn you saw right through me.

That entire ending bit is me running out of time to work on the project and trying to wrap it up as quickly as possible without making the player feel cheated, guess that fell flat though.

As for the "references", they weren't really intended to be references. The typewriter room has a lot of famous pieces of literary work to suggest that whoever lived there was either a famous writer or an aspiring writer, the layout of the apartment was meant to be as easy to understand as possible, and the portraits were just there to serve for the puzzle in that room. I may have accidentally cribbed too much from Silent Hill though, the entire idea was inspired by it.

As for the graffiti you brought up a really interesting point, normally abandoned buildings sometimes have really weird graffiti, but I may have made it seem like it wasn't an abandoned building by accident.

Thanks for the input, you have a lot of very interesting points that I hadn't realized!
Sunabouzu

Postby TheDanishMaster on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Psst, I remember a little "glitch" probably just a typo in the script

Highlight to read:
You find a key in room 102 but the description says that you found it in 202 :O

I especially loved one of the rooms where you suddenly hear something collapse. I was playing in 7.1 surround so I almost crapped my pants XD
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Subdivision on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Waited for it to come out, played it.
I am truly amazed by this.

Keep up the good work!
Subdivision

Return to Showcase