Rules - Speed Challenges

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Rules - Speed Challenges

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:57 am

These battles exists to provide you with a challenging and entertaining way to hone your skills in the arena of 3D modeling. Competition is a large part of what drives creativity, so these battles are meant to be competitive in order to drive innovation and help you get practice in. No scoring or rankings will be kept, for the moment.

These rules are simple, meaning you can be as creative as you see fit.

-Your entry must be completed in 2 hours, give or take an hour. Any and all time spent on creating your final images, whether it be rendering, cropping, resizing, etc. should be counted. I'll make exceptions for beginners, but usually anything over 3 hours is kaput.

-Post render, wireframe, triangle count, and time spent in the challenge thread.

-No post-processing allowed (I.E Photoshop) other than cropping resizing. Your images should be pure renders or screen captures of your scene, with nothing external added in.

-Models should be judged based on amount of time spent making them, how well they fit within the theme, how visually appealing they are, and the amount of technical skill required to make them.

Battles usually start on Friday or Saturday mornings GMT and end Monday mornings GMT. Polls generally end about the time a new challenge begins.

That's about it. Let me know if you've got suggestions on how to improve the rules or the battles in general.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Re: Rules

Postby dissonance on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 am

Is it okay to omit lockups and subsequent reboot times from the total time?
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 am

Of course. Bathroom breaks and robberies are time deductible as well. Any time you didn't spend creating your final images should be omitted.
RawMeat3000

Postby dissonance on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:08 am

O_O
Have robberies been an issue in the past?
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:57 pm

This post was of me asking if render time should really be included, but Rawmeat is a nub so he accidentally edited over my post.

:D
Last edited by stoopdapoop on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 pm

All of it. Any time you spend making your final image should be accounted for. Since we all know the images are what get you votes and better images take more time to make. This is a way to level the playing field for newer modelers who's renders might only take a few minutes, whereas mine are usually 20-30.

In fact, any time you spend in Photoshop cropping, resizing, etc. should be added as well.

Edit: Crap, sorry stoopdapoop. I totally just wrote my post in yours. I clicked the edit button instead of quote. Not really used to these moderating powers yet. :smt005
RawMeat3000

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:50 pm

YOU POST POSSESSING DEMON!

But as far as rendering goes, polygon counts don't effect render time at all. and if it takes you 30 minutes to render one frame, I'm thinking you might need to optimize your render a bit cause it will take the same amount of time if you have a couple of 2 polygon grids floating around, and I think anyone who's not so well versed in rendering (or just has crappy hardware) will have a similar problem.

But your word is law, and you've earned it so you'll hear no more complaints from me. (on this subject :D)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Modelling Challenges