Modelling Challenge #2 - Land Vehicles

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Re: Model Battle #2 - Land Vehicles

Postby cohrt on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:00 pm

wow carbon you should make that a skin for the car in ep2. That looks amazing.
"Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'Goodbye' and you were like 'NOOO WAAAY' and I was all 'we pretended we were going to murder you'. That was great..."
cohrt
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:15 pm

lol, yeah carbon, slap your uv mapped skin on the ep2 car... that would look ... weird :P
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby srredfire on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Carbon you have my vote fo sho. That shit is HOT.

Also to answer your question regarding why glass in a different model in L4D2, and any other source game, is so the glass can have a glass material. Since Valve is dumb and only allows you to set one material per texture/model/whatever, if you shot the glass, it'd react as metal.

It's really dumb, because the Ritual team for SiN Episodes re-coded it so you could have more than one material. I am confused as to why Valve never picked it up.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Duke Nukem on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

that car looks so awesome!
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby jister on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

damn, was gone for a while, i have to make a vehicle soon so i could have used the challenge to get started on it, oh well...

i would like to do a throw at a panel seat thou.

and to bad we didn't had contact to boost up the prize money rawmeat, ah well next time.

btw could we do something like a mailing list to give notice of challenges... i hate finding out to late :(
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Noodles on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:13 pm

srredfire wrote:Carbon you have my vote fo sho. That shit is HOT.

Also to answer your question regarding why glass in a different model in L4D2, and any other source game, is so the glass can have a glass material. Since Valve is dumb and only allows you to set one material per texture/model/whatever, if you shot the glass, it'd react as metal.

It's really dumb, because the Ritual team for SiN Episodes re-coded it so you could have more than one material. I am confused as to why Valve never picked it up.

Ermmm...........no they don't.

The part about shooting it is right, but you can definitely have more than one material per model. Just use (in max) material id's and sub object materials. My player characters have about 6 different mats.
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby RawMeat3000 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 pm

jister wrote:
btw could we do something like a mailing list to give notice of challenges... i hate finding out to late :(

I might be able to do that, but you'd be better off creating an RSS feed for the modelling challenges subforum to alert you automatically. I'm pretty forgetful.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby srredfire on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Noodles wrote:
srredfire wrote:Carbon you have my vote fo sho. That shit is HOT.

Ermmm...........no they don't.

The part about shooting it is right, but you can definitely have more than one material per model. Just use (in max) material id's and sub object materials. My player characters have about 6 different mats.

I didn't mean only one material on the model in that sense, but yes you are right on that part.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Suppoooosedly, having multiple materials on one model incurs a performance hit. So it was (or used to be) discouraged. I've never seen any numbers to back it up though, and having glass is definitely a worth while expenditure. I do know that the compiled model is broken up into pieces though- precisely speaking, a triangle strip doesn't cross material borders. This does create a small performance hit as does changing textures, but it is sooo incredibly small that I doubt it's even measurable (unless source just really sucks at doint it lol).
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Modelling Challenges