Modelling Challenge #2 - Land Vehicles

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Modelling Challenge #2 - Land Vehicles

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Ahoy Interlopers! It's been a while since the last battle, so I apologize for the long delay, but now that this one is here we can all rest easy. Unless you want to win one of the 3 prizes! which range from $25 for 1st place to $15 for 2nd and $10 for 3rd. No I will not mail you the money, you will have to choose your prize from an online vendor who's total cost does not exceed the amount of your winnings. And if anyone wants to chip in a prize that's fine by me. :smt045

The theme for this battle will be vehicles. Specifically land vehicles (I'm saving the other kinds for later). So anything you might use to get from A to B on land goes. Could be a car or bicycle, or some other invention. It can be fictional.

The rules for this battle are as follows:

1. You model must be fully textured, and compiled for the Source engine with a polygon count and texture size that is appropriate.

2. You must provide an ingame screenshot of your model with something identifiable next to it to determine it's scale, along with a wireframe of your model. No more than 3 images please.

3. You must provide the necessary files (VTFs, VMTs, compiled model files) for judging.

4. You may not reuse old models for this competition; everything should be created after this post. Include plenty of WIP shots so I know you're following this rule.

5. Your model must be submitted by February 1st, before midnight Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8).

Let me know if you think these rules are inadequate, because I've probably missed something.

So with that I wish everyone good luck and I'll see you guys at the finish line. :D
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Re: Model Battle #2 - Land Vehicles

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Ahaha. And Stoop wanted to make a space ship. I think you should accept monetary donations, too. I'd throw a few your way to support the cause.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:42 pm

I was even going to write "No spaceships." in bold to stick it to him. To include spaceships would make the theme too broad I thought. It's broad enough as it is.
RawMeat3000

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Could you do a spaceship tied on a flatbed truck?
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Surfa on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Are we going to have proper voting this time so not shit ensues? Like get a panel of judges or some shit that won't enter.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Well, there is that new safeguard Blink implemented, but still you could be on to something. The only problem is finding a panel. 5, 7, or 9 people.
RawMeat3000

Postby .treeturtle-- on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:23 pm

so i've done a bit of modeling and rendering but i've never actually exported anything to source, hopefully this will actually motivate me enough to learn, I've got what I think is a pretty cool idea
turtle
.treeturtle--
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Damn, this shit is really fun!

Well, I'm making slow progress. But it's going well. Blue box represents a 6 foot tall person.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am

A panel's always a good idea. But only if the people on it can still submit an entry :D Cause I'd like to be on it (I'm not crooked enough to rate my closest opponents down, I'm in it for the love of modeling, and being fantastic.)

And I'll give my space shuttle A V10 and some racing suspension, then it'll be a land vehicle.

Nah, I'm probably going to model a tank or someshit.

And coder, deforming the tires? Pretttyyyy nifty :)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Carbon14 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 am

Ok, well, decided to go with a model for an L4D map I have been intending to make. Probably my favourite muscle car, a plymouth Roadrunner/GTX. Unlikely I will finish given the fairly short time, but I guess I will try :)

Starting with a wheel.

Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 am

you might wanna uv map that right away so you can copy it over
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Carbon14 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:08 am

source-maps wrote:you might wanna uv map that right away so you can copy it over

Yup :) now onto the hard part I guess hah

Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:13 am

We need an ATV, I was going to model one for O.C., but I don't think I could get it done it time... plus I am not all that great at modeling. And coder, what are you making, it looks big.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby coder0xff on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 am

A caterpillar 797F. Biggest dump truck around. I remember seeing a video once and was blown away by how huge it is.

Yes, that is a stairway across the radiator. It's not the F revision so there are some differences, but this shows the size.

Might as well do a WIP update while I'm at it.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Carbon14 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 am

eep, looking good coder, going to be some tough competition! Is that dip around the tire modelled in?

Update on the Plymouth, rough shape modelled out!

Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Modelling Challenges