De_Castleville *under construction again* *new video*

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

De_Castleville *under construction again* *new video*

Postby sawo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 am

========
Basic info:
========
More than year ago, i started playing with random geometry prefabs for my own use, but the stuff i created was too different from the geometry that i was using on my current maps then i decided to put them together into a single map.
The stuff i created was perfect for stone/castle map so here it is :)
The map was almost done after two weeks of work, but dunno why i discontinued the work on it.Almost year latter i continued working on it and added few new locations but then i started to work on another maps so i stopped working on it again.And now FINALLY i really pushed it to the end :)
==========
Concept/Story:
==========
Abandoned wine factory with its own vineyard, storehouse,wine-cellar and other buildings
=======
Features:
=======
Custom geometry/textures
HDR/LDR
Displacements
Soundscapes

================
Any suggestions are welcome :)
=================
Ok since the map is on heavy development again, i decided to move the thread back to this forum.Thanks to ShaDoW for the help!
I removed all the links and screen ill put new media once i have enough progress.Meanwhile check the screens from the last posts
Last edited by sawo on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:14 am

the lighting is very nice looking and the environments arn't that bad either . Keep it up ^^!
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby sawo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:39 pm

here is the new video (22Mb 720 x 480)
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Vorneus on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Just ran around in it. I find it INCREDIBLY repetitive. I couldn't find my way around hardly at all, and I don't even know if I found the bombsites as there was no radar overview and no signs on the walls or even a target on the floor anywhere. There are also a LOT of large square open spaces that seem to serve no purpose whatsoever. If you ask me you need to take the layout back to the drawing board.

-Ed
It's all about the atmosphere.

-Portfolio-

Current project: de_fusion (I'll finish it someday, probably)
Vorneus
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Knights on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 pm

I think you need to personally stick to one map. Fix this one up a bit more with more details. It seems your computer might not be up for the task of source maps though. :x I'll run through it later today.
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby sawo on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Vorneus wrote:Just ran around in it. I find it INCREDIBLY repetitive. I couldn't find my way around hardly at all, and I don't even know if I found the bombsites as there was no radar overview and no signs on the walls or even a target on the floor anywhere. There are also a LOT of large square open spaces that seem to serve no purpose whatsoever. If you ask me you need to take the layout back to the drawing board.

-Ed

You can see the signs even on the screens how can you miss them in-game :)
There are 7 signs in the map.
There are open spaces only in the center and the T base where i have put some trees,crates etc in the free space as in militia and other outdoor maps.When i created most of the map there was still no news on the radar i have to read some docs to fix that too.

Knights since i really dont want to add more static props im working on some brushwork for the T base since there will be no action so i can add more stuff there.The center have alot of stuff - trees, crates,small rocks etc you dont need too much detail there because most of the action is in that place.
Also, what do you mean my computer might not be up for the task of source maps? the 1920x1200 display gives really nice view in hammer also 2GB ram and c2d 1,66 cpu provide really nice compile times - lets say... 4x faster than my old 3500+ :)
If you mean the fps in the screens i already mentioned that my mid-range card cant handle 1440x900 + hdr + aa/af @ max i used these settings to produce good screenshots.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dead-Inside on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:40 pm

I do think he meant it looked like a GoldSRC map with fancy lighting (Light_env)
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sawo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Probably not, since i used 1440x900 @ MAX AA/AF + HDR to create the shots the only problem is the fps but i already explained that.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dead-Inside on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Okay, now, actually try reading and understanding what I'm saying.

I don't think he's hinting at the fact that your computer can't render source, because it can. It looks like a GoldSRC map DESPITE this fact.

Do you understand me now, or do I need to go even deeper?
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sawo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Dead-Inside wrote:Okay, now, actually try reading and understanding what I'm saying.

I don't think he's hinting at the fact that your computer can't render source, because it can. It looks like a GoldSRC map DESPITE this fact.

Do you understand me now, or do I need to go even deeper?

Its hard to understand what you are saying because it simply doesnt make sense.
Knights said:
It seems your computer might not be up for the task of source maps though.

The computer have NOTHING to do with the map quality goldsrc src ubersrc or whatever.
If this map was goldsrc then cbble should be q2.
Dont get me wrong im open to any ideas.Some one said add more details.OK i have alot of ideas in mind im going to revamp many places this map is more than year old i got better skills now i playtested the map more so i will work on it.Others says it needs radar map and more signs.OK its not big deal i already created test radar map it works i will make more signs to be easier for ppl to walk around.But comments like "you need to get back to the drawing board" and "looks like goldsrc" really dont help.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dodomaster on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 pm

Yeah whats with the flaming. If you have something to complain give at least some idea's how to improve it or give some constructive critism.
Dodomaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:05 pm

Dodomaster wrote:Yeah whats with the flaming. If you have something to complain give at least some idea's how to improve it or give some constructive critism.

True. Hate flaming. If you do have something to say try to help rather then say it looks terrible. Well you can say it looks bland but it would be helpful to add where things might need to be added. :wink:
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby sawo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:59 am

Ok the most important note by now was the map lacks detail.Unfortunately the map is in very late state of development so it will be too hard to implement the changes i want on it 'as is'.First of all i want to clean most of the brushes and make them as less as possible (for example you dont need two brushes to form square cube, right?) this will make the work alot easier.Also i want to change the roof and add new location to the map.I decided to remove everything unneeded and start working on the 'bare bone'.
This is what i decided to keep from the current map.
Just created These prefabs for the new roof so im starting right now.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Rooster on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:26 am

i think a larger variety of textures would spice up your map.
Visit my village today!
Rooster
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby sawo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:25 am

The new area will use different textures, also i will change the inside textures(now they are the same as the ones inside)Maybe i will have to add some pillars too to improve the geometry too.
sawo
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Next

Return to Under Construction