Duke Nukem 3D Hollywood Holocaust - HL2:DM [Image Heavy]

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: Duke Nukem 3D Hollywood Holocaust - HL2:DM [Image Heavy]

Postby clownfart on Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 am

Those look sooo fun. This is the game that got me into PC gaming way back when. <3

Remember to add those sexy posters! :))))
clownfart
Regular
Regular

Postby Duke Nukem on Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 am

The map looks great, but a little too dark for deathmatch. i also hope that the gameplay is good(i've seen an elevator in the screenshots. hope its not too slow). try using more bright floor-textures ;) that would help to get the darkness away. :D

All in all the map is "Duke Style!" 8) :smt070
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Chrustec on Mon May 18, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks mate,

Those screenies are quite old now so we shall have to post some new ones soon :) And yeah the gameplay will blow your mind Duke :P - The map is based at night so yeah its generally dark but we have changed the lighting slightly so all in all its much better that whats in those screenies now.
Kind Regards,

Christopher [Chrustec] Glerum
http://www.chrustec.net
Past Project - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30060
viewtopic.php?p=296414#296414
Chrustec
Regular
Regular

Postby Gambini on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:21 am

maybe it´s an old thread, but since i´ve being a duke mapper for the last 12 years i feel like post something here.

3d Realms has been bothering modders and putting pressure on them to cease their duke related projects. I dont recall another brand name so protected as duke nukem , but now since 3d Realms is air, projects like this can come up without so many troubles -let´s hope-

About the map, it looks good but doesnt reminds that much to Hollywood Holocaust, maybe due to lack of fitting textures. Still i like it, and am looking forward for a single player mission as well (just some zombies and soldiers around).
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Chrustec on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks Gambini,

The map is still going ahead - Due to shotty and I's personal and work commitments of late we don't get a lot of time to work on the level, however we have never stopped working on it - In fact we have been adding some final touches on it the last few days and reviewing what we want to finish on it before we let it loose. We have never been worried about the whole shutdown issues others have had as this is not a mod. Its just a map with custom content that anyone with Half Life 2: Death Match can play. Its purely a multiplayer map, and also a project we used as a method for seeing what we can do with the engine.

Keep in mind that we did our own take on this level - the layout is based on the same but more detailed. Some things we have textured the way we felt it needed to be textured. So some bits look nothing like it but when you play the level you will get the feeling that its the same location. We have been optimising the lighting and some other environmental effects lately so we have been hesitant to release any screen shots of the level until we are happy with the lighting results. Our main concern at the moment is HDR as It is giving us a little grief - in some places its awesome, other places its arse. Hence why no new screenies yet - we should have some soon though along with a release - it MIGHT be a BETA release in that if we get enough downloads and people enjoy it we may modify some other spots that we have taken out due to time.

Anywho - I best be back to it ;)

Stay Tuned....
Kind Regards,

Chrustec
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 am

I want yo maps! :D
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gambini on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:05 pm

We have never been worried about the whole shutdown issues others have had as this is not a mod. Its just a map with custom content that anyone with Half Life 2: Death Match can play.

Just to let you know: What 3d realms were stopping along all these years is ANY kind of recreation or ripping of ANY duke nukem content, it goes further than just mods, so maps and models as well.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ThePain on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Well now that DNF is bunk and 3DRealms owes Take 2 about... oh 7 MILLION DOLLARS I don't think they're going to have the cash to drive down to the library to use their computer to send you a C&D, let alone hire an ambulance chaser to take you to court over it.

Map away good sir.

Companies that go after modders always piss me off as they have no leg to stand on other than archaic backwards copyright laws. They lose no money due to mods, they only gain publicity, and the only way they lose money is if their dev team is so inept and half=asses the project that the mod is better than their official product. In that case though the company deserves to lose the profit as they obviously did nothing to deserve it in the first place.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Kodox on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Wow, I can still remember playing this level when I was like..6 years old, and I can still recognize everything in the shots. You guys are doing an outstanding job!
Kodox
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby dark_veil on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

i have duke 3d sat next to me with my n64... great game.. and i cant wait for this!
dark_veil
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Gambini on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:43 am

ThePain wrote:Companies that go after modders always piss me off as they have no leg to stand on other than archaic backwards copyright laws. They lose no money due to mods, they only gain publicity, and the only way they lose money is if their dev team is so inept and half=asses the project that the mod is better than their official product. In that case though the company deserves to lose the profit as they obviously did nothing to deserve it in the first place.

QFT
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Sebhael on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:04 am

I just got smacked in the face with nostalgia on entering this thread.
So many hours wasted with the Duke.

Anyways, that looks phenomenal - definitely a great modern interpretation of the level.
---
On a side note; I'm glad DN:Forever became DN:Never.
It would have just been a gray, dull, boring, and seething with hormones shooter. Would have ended up smacking all of us who grew up with the Nukem in the face.
Think Quake 4 ;)
@The Wasteland Discotheque. Black House, Glass City. | Steam/X-Fire : Sebhael
Sebhael
Regular
Regular

Postby Gambini on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 am

DNF shall be done there for 2001, when they had an almost finished game but started everything from scratch -again-. Their own unsteadiness killed the project. I think that Duke Nukem 3d is still a game that has a lot to give, proof of it are all the mods and maps that year by year keep being released for that game, and somehow projects like this one.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Chrustec on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 am

Ok Guys,

Its time for an update, apologies all round for the delay as I did promise these a while ago, as life is things don't always turn out as planned. Here are some brand new screen shots from the level. We are not far now from release so stay tuned...

I hope you all enjoy the new screens and we shall hope to have this sucker released fairly soon.
Kind Regards,

Chrustec
Regular
Regular

Postby leadphalanx on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 am

Are you implementing all the secret areas? Behind the screen, rpg under the billboard, etc.
leadphalanx
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction