RP_Sectra_Facility [WIP]

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: RP_Sectra_Facility [WIP]

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 am

Dives wrote:The make_triangle error has to do with a minor error in one of the models and vbsp is just giving you a heads up. It doesn't cause any problems and you can completely ignore it. A number of Valve's models actually have this problem.

Hopefully its related to the phys model that didn't render due to it being set as a static prop,
thanks for the info I seriously thought it was a brushwork error and that would have broke my heart. :cry:

Some of the models are from CSS, and other Valve games, so it doesn't surprise me I guess, seeing errors
still makes me want to cry though.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Captain Terror on Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Looking great so far! i love the last pic of the exterior building shots. maybe though, add more sides to the corners to make them look more "fluid". I can elaborate if you're not sure what i mean.
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sun May 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Looking great so far! i love the last pic of the exterior building shots. maybe though, add more sides to the corners to make them look more "fluid". I can elaborate if you're not sure what i mean.

If you mean for example use the clip tool a couple times on the corners of the skyscrapers and other brushwork
to make them seem more rounded then yeah I understand. I want to make it seem less blocky I just need to get
more done first before I start detailing it to much. Worried a little bit about brush limits and compile time to.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby Captain Terror on Mon May 30, 2011 1:30 am

yup absolutely you got it. =) they otherwise look very nicely smoothed. =)

looking forward to updates, I love seeing buildings and houses done in source :P
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby xoqolatl on Mon May 30, 2011 10:47 am

Brushwork reminds me a bit of Quake 2 in a good way. I wish this someone made more Quake 2 :(
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 am

Heavy WIP in this area, started adding more to the main map again, this section was built today.

For future reference in case anybody runs into this problem, when I first started mapping, I would get
pissed off when hammer failed to compile a map due to Cannot Find The File Specified ( Problem Reported By Windows ). Yes its true that the structure of your map name could be the issue, or bad config settings in hammer, but I also found out that func_detailing brushwork that is off grid alignment can possibly cause this issue!!!

Believe me I know how it sounds, how do you get a directory and or missing file error with messed up brushwork,
I have no idea but after finding and removing some stuff I missed off grid it fixed the problem.

Big relief to know this now, but at the same time pisses me off, anyways heres a pic. Very dark I know, srry
still have lots and lots of optimizing / tweaks to do. Would show other angles but lighting is to bad, will have updated images tomarrow night hopefully. I will force myself lol.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am

FearEngine wrote:but I also found out that func_detailing brushwork that is off grid alignment can possibly cause this issue.

Always place your brushes on the grid. Always.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:33 pm

LordDz wrote:
FearEngine wrote:but I also found out that func_detailing brushwork that is off grid alignment can possibly cause this issue.

Always place your brushes on the grid. Always.

It defiantly wasnt intentional, was actually because of some slanted brushwork after using the
clip tool, thats what happens when you take the lazy route and dont fully zoom in everytime you
cut something.
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:57 am

More than one day I know, but I did force myself to get you guys some better updates.
Still have lots of lighting tweaks and texture changes to do. Barely started to focus hard on
brushwork details. Railing is just a placeholder.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Didn't sleep last night, got all this done :)

I relized that since this map has been in dev so long, the sections I started over a year ago arn't looking
to fancy compared to the new stuff, so im starting to give older sections of the map a facelift so to speak lol.
The maintence tunnel in image 3 is all updated, still have even more work to do on it. I finally started on one of the first player apartments, im trying to keep the facility / future city feel in them, very basic atm, but I have so much to add.

Will need Alpha testers soon!!, im busting ass now guys, this project is gonna get done soon hopefully.

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:44 am

Spent the past 13 hours reconstructing the tunnel system I have in place, most of everything
that was possibly off grid or had odd dimensions has been obliterated. Map compile time is roughly
8 Mins Total, this is on normal. Have to implement portals.

>SNIP< Just answered my own question, Compile Time Is Now 4 Min :smt023

I wrry I have much pain to face in the coming days with hammer :( but still I must push onward !!!

SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Love the tunnel.
But in the 2nd pic, isn't lighting a bit bright? It's a bit like it's using fullbright + lights.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Love the architecture, mainly how I can never predict how your buildings will look when going round the corner. One thing I would advise though for a more refined look is this.

I know some of the first pics in this thread are from last year, but if you still plan on including the tall outside buildings, you might want to consider setting the textures to a lower res in Hammer.

Main reason why, is because at long distances you notice the texture repeats a lot more. I noticed Valve did this on one of the dev' maps with the citadel. Hammer textures were set to 1, instead of the default 0.25. You just might wanna consider that on those open distant areas that are most noticeable with the repeats.

Only bit of advice I could give, other wise when your done I'll be more then happy to help test it.
Epifire

Postby Dman on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Exterior looks brilliant, like the level of detail and the lighting works well too. Can't off the top of my head think of any critscism other than the fact it looks quite empty, but thats not really a problem considering the maps purpose.
Dman

Postby SilentlyWeeps on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:07 pm

LordDz wrote:Love the tunnel.
But in the 2nd pic, isn't lighting a bit bright? It's a bit like it's using fullbright + lights.

Your right, theirs actually two different types of light sources atm in thier, I will be adjusting the lights
quite a bit.

Epifire wrote:I know some of the first pics in this thread are from last year, but if you still plan on including the tall outside buildings, you might want to consider setting the textures to a lower res in Hammer.

Main reason why, is because at long distances you notice the texture repeats a lot more. I noticed Valve did this on one of the dev' maps with the citadel. Hammer textures were set to 1, instead of the default 0.25. You just might wanna consider that on those open distant areas that are most noticeable with the repeats.

The tall IRobot building, if that's the image your referring to is actually part of another map, it was a brush test I
did awhile back, I was thinking about using it as a secound map but it would still be part of this project in a sense.
Maybe if I decided to make this a full EP2 mod or Standalone MP-RP Mod, I had a dream of making tunnel sections with force connect triggers to send players to another server hosting the secound map. Not sure atm but either way the buildings in those images do need some big texture changes your right, the res is prolly 0.35, bigger resolution would look even more horrid will make sure to get it sorted out.

The city in the images above though are in the current map, and it will continue to grow.
Thanks for the feedback, and i'll be sure to let you know when i'm ready to get testing underway.

Dman wrote:Exterior looks brilliant, like the level of detail and the lighting works well too. Can't off the top of my head think of any critscism other than the fact it looks quite empty, but thats not really a problem considering the maps purpose.

Lots of empy looking space will eventually be filled with more detailed brushwork, and at the end of the
layout process I will be filling in areas with some models, props, etc. Like you said though, when you consider it's an RP map most of the props will be spawned by players. :smt023

Thanks for the feedback as always guys, I appreciate it more than you can imagine. :[]:
SilentlyWeeps
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction