[HL2] Voynich Journey

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[HL2] Voynich Journey

Postby c0ldpr0xy on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Greetings, I've been working on this map but there are many many things I have to fine-tune but I would like to hear some of your thoughts and feedback if you don't mind.

I am using only HL2 stock textures and there's not so many suitable textures for the style of this map. It needs to look medieval/ancient but most HL2 textures are modern.

I also am stuck with HL2 stock props/models and there's not so many I can use.

WIP: (Remember, I'm still learning my ways through Hammer)

Attachments
J1_dungeon_dy.zip
The .vmf file
(201.67 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
c0ldpr0xy

Re: [HL2] Voynich Journey

Postby Dives on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Ow ouch ow my retinas. That's so orange it hurts to look at. You need to get some contrasting colors in there.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... vel_Design
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 pm

That's a great start you've got there man. It shows that you have an eye for detail with the features on the pillars and the general make up of the map. You should try to push that as much as you can. Don't be afraid to use some decals. Also I'm with dives on the monotony and garishness of the lighting. Try to create some different, varied sources of light. A crack in the roof with the moon shining through, some irridescent crystals/mushrooms, even just different colours of light coming from those torches (some more red, others more white etc) and don't have them at such regular intervals. Also flames never cast THAT much light. At best your environment would be murky. Turn the ambient light down on your light_environment and the falloff down on your torch flames to give it a bit more atmosphere.

If you want custom textures and stuff but can't make your own, garrysmod.org has heaps (although most are terribad). You just plonk them in your games materials folder, as opposed to garrys mod.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby c0ldpr0xy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have any other idea for a light source other than torches in my case but I'll see what I can do. Also, the map is supposed to be more puzzle-oriented :).
c0ldpr0xy

Postby aereton on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:23 am

I like the general setting, overall it's very good for some first work. :)

At the textures point, the garrysmod.org tip is highly recommended. If you're still looking for a specific texture, just pm me with some infos, maybe I could help you out with a bit of work if you'd like.
aereton
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby c0ldpr0xy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:31 pm

So I took Dives and Black_Stormy's advice and revamped the last room a little bit. Here's the improvement:

Also, I downloaded some custom textures and applied them to some brushes but in-game, they were are all 100% bright/lit (only the custom textures). I don't know what the problem was but if someone knows how to fix them, let me know please.

Edit: One problem though, for those light shafts that are projected from the ceiling, I used GCFScape to extract the .vmt files that were removed by Valve and I put them in my HL2/materials folder. My question is, if I were to distribute this map to someone, would they need these .vmt files extracted in their folder as well or can I just pakrat them?
c0ldpr0xy

Postby Stormy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Ok it's good you have a reason for some general ambient light, but you have gone too far west. Put a couple of torches back in there with a small falloff to bring the visual interest and variety up again. It's gone from retina-burning bright to eye-straining dark. Good progress though, keep researching till you find something that really works. Also the dust motes are nice, but they don't really follow the direction of the light. The light is casting on an angle, and spreading around the room while the dust motes are in a block coming straight down from the hole in the roof. Dust motes are tiny bits of dust that catch and reflect the direct light that is cast on them, so they should follow the light rays of your light_environment. Also less is more with these kinds of details, so don't crank the particle amount up to max every time.

I can't answer your pakrat question, but as a purely personal preference, I think valves light rays are tacky and unnecessary. I think they have a very limited scope of use, but that's just my own style.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby c0ldpr0xy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 am

Alright, I'm still working on this room. Until I get it right, I won't continue, it's how I prefer to work. Anyways, I do not have very much experience with the light_environment except set up the sun in an outdoor map. Working on some decals as well, even though most of the time the overlays don't work for some reason.

Edit: I am using a "light" entity to impersonate the moonlight coming from the ceiling.
c0ldpr0xy

Postby Stormy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 am

Yeah I have never been able to get decals to work properly. I have resorted to making func_illusionary brushes and putting them about a third of a unit from the surface of the brush I want them on. It gives me a lot more control over the decals and fuck you Major Banter.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Under Construction