[CS:GO] Insertion (new name again!)(wip)

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[CS:GO] Insertion (new name again!)(wip)

Postby Oskmos on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello, been working on this for quite a while. Some of the trees was made like 3 years ago! I've sneaked in the map on Workshop here:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175459753

It's all still very WIP. Oh and I can't use CSGOs dynamic sunlight since it wasn't supported on the Multiblend texture that I'm using and I kind of have to use alot of fog with so many trees etc for performance reasons, So Swedish summer it is! :smt023 (altough it's fall)

Cheers!
Last edited by Oskmos on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Re: [CS:GO] CS_HOUSE (temp name)(wip)

Postby nub on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:28 pm

I really like the gloomy atmosphere it has. The fog almost feels oppressive. And the cascade shadows wouldn't really look right in that kind of weather anyway. Being that they're so defined and sharp, cascade shadows only look right when it's really bright and sunny out. When you have all that cloud cover, shadows are going to look very diffused and broad. Static light mapping is more than enough for this map in my opinion. The only drawback of not using cascade shadows is that it won't cast on character models, so players won't be able to use the shadows to their advantage (low visibility).
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby snah on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:31 am

IMPRESSIVE. Did you Yeah Nubbles is right too, its a shame they didnt add support for soft shadows based on light type/intensity. Did you create a lot of the textures and models? Im not very well acquainted with the new CS:GO model and texture library. Either way the houses look very well constructed. How much of them is brush work? Did you use hammer or wallworm or some other mapping tool to create the layout?
I was using func_details way before it was cool.
snah

Postby Oskmos on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 am

I made all assets my self, not using anything from CSGO :) (except some minor stuff that will be replaced by my stuff later)

and sorry nub, I changed the lighting a bit so it's not that gloomy anymore :) I might go back to a more gloomy one, but I kind of like the map to have a somewhat positive feel. I believe that a maps overall feel somehow affects how much you enjoy the map in general. But im not sure, its the way I feel atleast :)

I used hammer, dont know what that other app is :)
here's a screengrab from Hammer with flat shading, showing what's brushes and not:

And here's a map showing the entire "play area". both T and CT spawn in separate locations where they can buy weapons and where CT can choose attack position. the yellow H and R is hostage location and rescue zones
(leveloverview didnt want to include the water but the water is to the north there)
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby Oskmos on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

I've been working on the sky/atmosphere.

Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby marnamai on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:46 pm

It's looking very nice, but I think the kitchen has a light without a source?

How did you make the reed/cattail model?
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Oskmos on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:04 pm

yeah there's alot to do still :)

I have a big undergrowth atlas with alot of different plants, image below shows the reeds. And they are basically planes with a cross section plane on the top part, which i guess is what looks like a cat tail :)

Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Please make a grass card painting tutorial.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Oskmos on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:56 pm

1 - pick some grass
2 - hold the grass in front of a "green screen"
3 - take picture
4 - mask out the grass

:)
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby Knights on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Very nice, I'd probably just google an image but hey that's even better! :smt023 The maps looking great, very foggy but I guess it'll be needed for draw distance in such an open map. Needs a nice deck on the that little lake maybe connect both sides to cross over? Unless that won't be playable space...
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Chrille on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 am

Well this brings back memories:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33364

cs_regn had a really cool atmosphere to it. Felt less video-gamey than most maps, somehow. The first screenshots of this map feel more like that. Oh well, I'm going to try it anyway.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Oskmos on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Chrille wrote:Well this brings back memories:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33364

cs_regn had a really cool atmosphere to it. Felt less video-gamey than most maps, somehow. The first screenshots of this map feel more like that. Oh well, I'm going to try it anyway.

Haha nice! Didnt know I had kind of the same idea for cs_regn with the spawns (didnt turn out like that though, Regn has just two spawns in each side of the map). I know i've had the idea with me for a long time but.. cool :)

Maybe Im just dreaming, but sometime I wish that I will make a map that is not set in Sweden
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Oskmos wrote:I've been working on the sky/atmosphere.

Aw...now it looks uplifting and happy. Maybe it's just the blue saturation. It looks great though. I was just more partial to the gloomy greyish fog and such. I await its completion with great anticipation. It ought to turn out very nicely.

Don't call me emo...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Oskmos on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 am

Just updated the workshop. Mostly visual work but some minor gameplay stuff aswell.
Also updated the name of the map to Smallholding. What do you think of it? Can think of any other names?

:)
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Re: [CS:GO] Smallholding (new name)(wip)

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 am

How about cs_retreat? Smallholding may make sense in Swedish but not in English lol
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Under Construction