Da_trainingday

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Da_trainingday

Postby Stormy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:43 am

So I'm finally getting my hands into hammer and I want some feedback. I haven't mapped much I usually just model. This is a trainstation map which was originally pretty bleak but I am trying to detail it and pretty it up.

I think I've blocked out the main obstacles in the map and I want to move onto detailing the walls and that awful blank ceiling. Any advice on that? I'm thinking of embedding some pipes and vents and a sprinkler system but it's supposed to be a pretty modern train station and I don't want to fall into that industrial look.

Also any comments on possible lighting? I'm thinking of using a lot of ads on the walls, different coloured posters with lights behind them and stuff. That way I can really dictate the lighting how I want in terms of colour.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Da_trainingday

Postby Syphon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Modern stations often have these arty angled ceilings so perhaps some interesting curves?

You could also use some fancy lighting to work simultaneously on both issues:

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/wp-content/blo ... lead-2.jpg
Syphon
Regular
Regular

Postby [KIRBY] on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:13 pm

what about having them tiles on walls break?
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah I have a plan for those tiles, if it works out it will be pretty awesome. Instead of just having them break I'm going to see if I can embed a model in there and have the model fall off the wall when you shoot it, then the model itself will break on the floor (hopefully).

Thanks for the idea on the ceiling, I'm going to incorporate something like that. It's even better than normal light fittings because I can use any color I like. I'll do something like that in the main area where most of the action goes down.

Here's what I did so far to the ceiling, as well as testing out some lighting ideas.

Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gambini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 am

For the wall ads, don´t use lights like that, use selfilum materials and maybe very tiny lights coming from them.

Looks good so far, the ceiling in the last shot of your first post could be higher and blocky beams with tiles could be supported by those cylindrical pillars. The floor around those could have black tiles too.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Under Construction