Mod Maker utility for Source

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Mod Maker utility for Source

Postby ChromeAngel on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:14 am

After several years of on and off development this weekend I released my Mod Maker utility (MM) for Source, which you can download from ModDB

MM is primarily a Source mod and tool launcher with productivity features to make it easier to mod for Source.

Source has a shedload of start up options most of us don't want to have to memorize, so the most useful options are up front on the main widow (above) and the rest are catered for by an advanced start up window (below)

MM comes with the following features/tools:
New Mod Wizard Create a new Source 2013 mod from the latest SDK code on GitHub.

Compiler Drag and drop files onto this icon to fire up the configurable compiler. Useful for compiling QC scripts into MDLs as the compiler is SDK and mod aware. The file types recognised by the compiler are configured from the mod maker File -> Options menu.

Setup Source SDK If you've got a new mod installed click this and the mod will be added to the Source SDK configuration for you and any FGDs the mod uses added to hammer. Useful if you map for many mods.

Hammer, Model Viewer and Face Poser for Source 2013 mods finding and launching these tools can be a pain if you don't know where to look. Mod maker auto-detects Source 2013 SDK and launches them for you, just like the old Source SDK used to.

Make Installer Cleans up the game folder and packages it with the NSIS installer system. Installers make your mod so much easier for players to install. I've been using this to build installed for Exterminatus for years.

Localization Handles all the files necessary to translate your mod into the various languages supported by steam ( ironically the UI only comes in English).

Steampipe Packer For Source 2013 mods this tool can package all the available content of your mod into VPKs for faster loading. I used this for the Beta 8 and later versions of Exterminatus.

Cleanup Recycles user generated and temporary files from your game folder. Usually handled before making an installer or re-distributable. But sometimes you just want to tidy up the bloat.

Make Patch Cleanup followed by archiving all files from the game folder that have changes since the last archive. Useful for distributing just changes since the last build of your mod. I've used this for making the alpha patches for Exterminatus.

SMD to QC Takes a reference SMD (model source), converts all the textures the model references for use in Source and produces a QC script for a static prop referencing the SMD. All it takes is to drag the QC into the compiler tool and you’ve got yourself a working prop. This is useful for modellers that are not familiar with Source to get models from your tool of choice working in-game.

FGD Editor This tool is a graphical editor for Forge Game Data files, used by Hammer to place entities from your mod in maps. This tool can make FGDs for your entities based on snippets of C++ or produce boilerplate C++ from the FGD description of an entity. This should be a big time saver when creating new entity types and getting them into Hammer.

VGUI RES Editor This editor allows you to visually arrange and edit the VGUI .RES files that control the layout and appearance of VGUI Editable Panel, Frames and HUD elements.

Sound Scripter This utility looks through all the sounds scripts in your game_sounds_manifest and the loose sounds in your Install/Sound folder and create script entries for each loose sound that is not already scripted. This utility saves some time writing boilerplate sound scripts and adding them to the manifest.

MM uses the .NET framework, but apart from that requires no installation. It will detect your Steam, which SDKs and Source mods you have installed.

I have written up some ModMaker Documentation , which should help you guys get working with it.

Any comments from using MM, I would be interested to hear them as i'm sure it has room for improvement.

[edit] Updated the dowload link to version 1.1 changelog on ModDB [/edit]
[edit] Updated the Main window screnshot to reflect version 1.1 [/edit]
[edit] Updated the dowload link to version 1.2 changelog on ModDB and added a screenshot of the updated New Mod wizard[/edit]
[edit] Updated the dowload link to version 1.3 changelog on ModDB and added a screenshots of the RES editor and Sound Scripter[/edit]
[edit] Updated the dowload link to version 1.4 changelog on ModDB and updated the main window screenshot.[/edit]
[edit] Updated the dowload link to version 1.5 changelog on ModDB.[/edit]
Last edited by ChromeAngel on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
ChromeAngel

Re: Mod Maker utility for Source

Postby Armageddon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:59 am

This looks like a great utility, wish I had it a few months ago.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:09 pm

i am leaving a comment here so i can come back to it in a few days. this looks awesome.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ChromeAngel on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:i am leaving a comment here so i can come back to it in a few days. this looks awesome.

I know the feeling, I keep downloading things thinking "i'll take a look at that when i've got a bit more time"
ChromeAngel

Postby ChromeAngel on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:48 am

I've uploaded a 1.1 version with some improvements and a new RAD file editor. The download link has been replaced to link to the new version.

ChromeAngel

Postby [KIRBY] on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:59 am

Rad file editor? thats pretty damn cool, you just got me interested in downloading this
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm going to download it really soon and try to push out a single-map mod with all the trimmings within a month or so. i might be bugging you for help every now and then. this is a really cool tool set.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for creating the tool. I do hope I can try it soon. The SMD to QC sounds awesome man. I have a fair few props/models right now that when completed will eventually need to be imported into hammer/source so absolutely anything that helps minimise time and problems getting something working from Blender into Source will be a very big help and much appreciated.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby ChromeAngel on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm

I've uploaded a new 1.2 version of MM, featuring an improved New Mod wizard:

Inspiration for the changes came from Joe_Rogers feedback over PM.

The download link in the first post has been updated to point at this new version. A more complete description of the chnages in the new version cane be found on my ModDB Blog.
ChromeAngel

Postby Gary on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:37 pm

This tool is definitely needed in the community. I find it odd how Valve kinda took a step backwards with the 2013 SDK by removing the (well, kinda shitty) GUI mod wizard tool.

I honestly like doing things manually. But I've been getting lazy. So I might just use this.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby ChromeAngel on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Gary wrote:This tool is definitely needed in the community. I find it odd how Valve kinda took a step backwards with the 2013 SDK by removing the (well, kinda shitty) GUI mod wizard tool.

I honestly like doing things manually. But I've been getting lazy. So I might just use this.

You could call it lazines or you could think of it as freeing more time to work on actual gameplay :wink:
ChromeAngel

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:09 pm

more like lifting (what i would characterize as) the dense fog which limits those of us (such as myself) without the technical know-how. but i am getting better all the time, and this mod tool is actually helping me learn about what exists "behind the curtain" better than anything else so far.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:40 am

Oh no. I didn't mean imply others were lazy by using this tool. It's useful regardless of skill level. I just consider myself lazy for using it since normally I'll do everything the hard way.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby lazypenguin on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:42 am

Had a chance to test out this tool. Nice work, definitely takes a lot of the headache out of starting/managing source mods. Nice work, appreciate the time you put into this and sharing it with the community.

I have a question that's slightly off-topic. With the soft launch of source 2 is it worth it to dive into a new mod using this tool and the 2013 code base or would it be better to wait for the full launch of source 2?
lazypenguin

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 am

lazypenguin wrote:Had a chance to test out this tool. Nice work, definitely takes a lot of the headache out of starting/managing source mods. Nice work, appreciate the time you put into this and sharing it with the community.

I have a question that's slightly off-topic. With the soft launch of source 2 is it worth it to dive into a new mod using this tool and the 2013 code base or would it be better to wait for the full launch of source 2?

You sound unreasonably optimistic regarding the prospective launch window for Source 2 :)
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Under Construction