[CS:GO] DE_88MM

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[CS:GO] DE_88MM

Postby Text_Fish on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi! I've finally uploaded my WIP CS:GO map to the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314256055

Things I'm still working on:
-3D Skybox
-Soundscape
-Optimization (barely done any yet!)

Known Issues:
-Dodgy collision mesh on big gun. Have replaced with clip brush for now.
-Some details yet to be clipped.

All feedback is gratefully received, as is any advice on promoting workshop items as I suck at this bit!

Thanks.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: [CS:GO] DE_88MM

Postby Sathor on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 am

Didn't get to play it yet, but in the last screenshot, on the flak tower, bottom, there seems to be a strange texture choice. The plant grow on the wall seems to be cut off.
Sathor

Postby cpl. punishment on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Sathor wrote:Didn't get to play it yet, but in the last screenshot, on the flak tower, bottom, there seems to be a strange texture choice. The plant grow on the wall seems to be cut off.

Also the corner where the walls slightly to the left of the big gun in that screenshot meet have a texture that appears to be mirrored. Alt apply the texture from one brush to the other and it should look seamless.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Voltdenatsu on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Looks pretty impressive, you can probably disregard sathor's commentary on that (since that picture seems to be screenshot goof), you won't see that playing the map itself I take it but you can probably get away with pushing up your cliff a little higher to cover up the texture misalignment
"We are THE RESISTY!"
Voltdenatsu
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 am

You could easily see it from the playable area. There's nothing obscuring a player's line of sight from seeing it. It's a minor issue, with a minor fix. But it's healthy mapping habits to sort little things like that out right away.

I like the setting, and the layout looks pretty interesting. Lots of verticality going on. Some areas have some nice detail, but the overall detail is lacking. A majority of the brushwork looks like it belongs in a map from 2004. You have a good foundation, it just needs some additional detail passes to flesh it out so it looks more natural and pleasing to the eye.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Voltdenatsu on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm

nub wrote:But it's healthy mapping habits to sort little things like that out right away.

remember, a good mapper notices it... right away. :textureapp:
"We are THE RESISTY!"
Voltdenatsu
Regular
Regular

Postby Spas12 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm

That looks like it owuld make an insane singleplayer map if you put more detail and some cool level design.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Voltdenatsu wrote:
nub wrote:But it's healthy mapping habits to sort little things like that out right away.

You'd be surprised at how much people miss after dozens if not hundreds of hours working on the same map. A fresh set of eyes is always good to have.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:22 am

cpl. punishment wrote:
Voltdenatsu wrote:

You'd be surprised at how much people miss after dozens if not hundreds of hours working on the same map. A fresh set of eyes is always good to have.

Indeed. I've spotted plenty of level design flaws in triple-A titles that could be easily fixed. Even Half Life 2 and the episodes have a few oddities here and there that were just overlooked unintentionally (things like floating props, or brushes running together and causing ugly z-fighting). Even professionals in the industry make mistakes, I imagine even more so during crunch times where they're staring at their screens for several hours at a time. It's only natural.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi all, thanks for the feedback! The devil's in the detail and all that. These texturing issues (and many more!) will be fixed in the next version which I'll upload this weekend.

I used to spend a lot more time looking out for such things, but then I found none of my projects were ever of a good enough standard that I was happy to release them. In my nearly 20 years of mapping I've released maybe three or four maps! So last year I decided to throw caution to the wind and it's working wonders for my productivity and confidence. It's still slightly painful uploading an unfinished product, but the upshot is that I get many many pairs of eyes instead of my own tired peepers and so these issues get fixed and the map improves. :)
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Under Construction