Cant locate any Rain Sounds in hammer

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Cant locate any Rain Sounds in hammer

Postby Ice Masta P on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 pm

When I go into the sound browser I can't find any rain sounds. I am running the engine version Orange Box, and the current game is HL2: Ep 2. The reason I am running Hammer with Orange Box is because when I tried to run it on the older source games the 3D camera would just be black. I read that this was an error with Vista. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Cant locate any Rain Sounds in hammer

Postby MayheM on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46 pm

take a look at one of the soundscapes and look to see what the path is. I am sure it is there because it plays in game. Most likely it is embedded in the GFC.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ice Masta P on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Soundscapes? I created an ambient_generic entity and was attempting to locate the sound file there, should I be creating a soundscape entity or something? thx

Edit: so i went into sound browser and found a random file and attempted to search comp for it, found nothing.
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby MayheM on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah the soundscape file that controls the sounds in HL2

It is basically a text file that informs the game what sounds to play. so you can make more elaborate sound setups. An examble is when you are inside the rain will sound different then if you are outside. But in the text file which is the soundscape (one that goes with a map which has rain) you will find the rain sound in the outside or outdoor portion. The path for the file will be listed. normally something like "/ambient/nature/rain.wav" that path is then inside the sound folder, but the game knows to go there so it is not needed.

Once you have that path you can copy it and past it into the sound name for your ambient generic. Though I would suggest you use soundscapes to do rain, it will sound much better and is a great thing to learn.
Does that make sense?
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ice Masta P on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Yeah I just need to read that a couple more times and attempt it. On a side note thought, I got the camera to work in the HL2: episiode 1 engine. I had to go to Map > entity report, click on one then go to and the camera suddenly works haha. Within that engine i searched the raw sounds and found a certain 'ambient/water/water_flow_loop1.wav' which doesnt sound too bad. But ill do what you said and get back to you. thanks

Oh and where is the soundscapes text file actually located?
Wiki said "<game>/scripts/soundscapes_manifest.txt" but I couldn't find any scripts folder.
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby omnicoder on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 am

Ice Masta P wrote:Yeah I just need to read that a couple more times and attempt it. On a side note thought, I got the camera to work in the HL2: episiode 1 engine. I had to go to Map > entity report, click on one then go to and the camera suddenly works haha. Within that engine i searched the raw sounds and found a certain 'ambient/water/water_flow_loop1.wav' which doesnt sound too bad. But ill do what you said and get back to you. thanks

Oh and where is the soundscapes text file actually located?
Wiki said "<game>/scripts/soundscapes_manifest.txt" but I couldn't find any scripts folder.

It's in the GCF.
If only the future implemented IForeseeable...
"whats threading? does it have to do with strings?" - stegarootbeer
omnicoder
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ice Masta P on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am

Okay so I went ahead and downloaded GCF Scape and it works fine. Now what exactly do I do?
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Ice Masta P on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 am

Update:

I have read all about soundscapes in the Interlopers tutorials. I am running my Hammer World editor on the Orange Box > Half Life 2: Episode Two engine. Within my scripts folder (username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\scripts) I have a 'soundscapes.manifest.txt' file and a 'soundscapes.firstmap.txt' file. The manifest file is as follows:

Code: Select all
soundscapes_manifest
{
   "file"      "scripts/soundscapes.firstmap.txt"
}

The firstmap file is the soundscapes file I am using for my map. It goes as follows:

"rain_loop"
{
   "dsp"  "1"
   "playlooping"
   {
      "volume"   "0.5"
      "pitch"    "100"
      "wave"     "ambient/water/water_flow_loop1.wav"
   }
   }

"train_horn"
{
   "dsp"   "1"
   "playrandom"
   {
      "time"         "18,25"
      "volume"        "0.1,0.2"
      "pitch"          "100"
      "rndwave"
      {
         "wave"   "ambient\alarms\train_horn_distant1.wav"
         "wave"  "ambient\alarms\scanner_alert_pass1.wav"
      }
   }
   }

The sound 'rain_loop' worked when I was using only the playloop function. However, once I added the manifest and the additional soundscape function 'playrandom', neither of the sounds played in game.

So what have I done incorrectly?
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Ice Masta P on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 am

So apparently I have a leak. I loaded the pointfile and it shows that one of my props is leaking into the void. I do not know how this entity is leaking because the red line is going from the prop, straight through the skybox and into the void. I have a group of 3 brushes with the nodraw texture tied to 'func_precipitation' and the prop that is leaking is inside one of these brushes. The other props within these brushes aren't having any issues. Also, this leak has happened recently, because before today it was working fine and the only thing i have changed is adding the soundscape entity.

So I realize that having a leak will prevent the sound from working (possibly). But this is a leak that I have no idea how to fix.
Ice Masta P
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby sebmeikle on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 pm

A leak shouldn't' stop sound. As for the rain sound here is a list of sounds that sound like rain:

ambient\water\water_flow_loop1.wav
d1_canals.dam_water
ambient\levels\canals\dam_water_loop2.wav

I used d1_canals.dam_water for one of my death match maps. Remember that some of these sounds are for specific mods, for example the second one won't work when I'm editing Portal in Hammer but it does work when I'm editing Half Life 2.

Hope that helps.
sebmeikle

Postby kkirspel on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Sorry for the bump in advance...

So the scripts folder should be at "username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\scripts", assuming I'm using Episode 2?

And, is having a soundscapes.manifest (spelling ok?) look like this in the scripts folder, ok?
soundscapes_manifest
{
   "file"      "scripts/soundscapes.thetower_canyon.txt"
}

And lastly, does the soundscapes.thetower_canyon itself look okay?
"machinery"
{
   "dsp"  "4"
   "playlooping"
   {
      "volume"   "0.25"
      "pitch"      "25"
      "wave"     "doors.CombineGate_citizen_move1.wav""
   }

"playrandom"
       {
                "time"         "8,10"
                "volume"     "0.5, 0.75"
                "pitch"        "30,35"
                "rndwave"
                {
                             "wave"                   "Metal_Box.ScrapeSmooth.wav"
                             "wave"                   "Metal_Box.ScrapeRough.wav"
                }
        }
}

Sorry, guys. I just can't get it to work...
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:10 pm

All those sounds are bad for depicting rain in my opinion. If you own a Stalker game, you could try extracting the packages and then grab the rain loop from there. It has a great rain loop OGG file. Just load it up in Audacity and save it out as a WAV then drop it in a sound folder.

Then load your map in Hammer, place an ambient_generic, untick Does NOT Loop, tick Play Everywhere, make sure Start Silent is unticked. No need for a soundscape if you just want a looping rain ambiance.

If you want, I can provide you with the rain sound file. The makers of Stalker permit free use of their content.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby antie on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm

I've recently been getting most of my sound from freesound.org There's plenty of open source places like that. I didn't know about STALKER being open, that's pretty cool of the devs and publishers.
antie
Regular
Regular

Return to Audio