soundscape / ambience crisis

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

soundscape / ambience crisis

Postby stukabomber44 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:52 am

I can't get sounds to play. I have the start silence off on the ambient_generic ... I really want water/cave sounds. I have no idea why they arent playing... is there a step by step tutorial someone can provide??

ambient/creatures/leech_water_churn_loop2.wav <<< thats the sound I'm trying to get :(

Thx.
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Re: soundscape / ambience crisis

Postby Gradius on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:37 am

Make sure you have the "Is not looping" flag unchecked correctly.
If that isn't the issue then try setting it to silent and then making it play on the map start with a logic_auto.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby stukabomber44 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:57 am

Oh my god... I had the "Is not Looped" checked.... I'm a fool sometimes... Thanks SO much for making me double check it.

Many thanks.
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Postby thefight on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 am

You should read through the tutorials section and see if there is something to help you before you post.
TicTac wrote:need cat 4 cuddles. not rape.
thefight
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stukabomber44 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 am

I was looking for a way to trigger a sound. for example a scream when you walk into an open area.... how would I set that up?? I can't find a tutorial for that. Any ideas?
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Making a brush with the trigger texture, make it an entity (func_trigger), then set it up to play the sound when you pass it. Pretty short explanation this, but you should be able to find adequate tutorials in the tutorials section here.
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Just some advice as far as when to use ambient_generics vs soudscapes. In the case of your cave water sound, it is likely best to use soundscapes. In fact almost everything can be done with soundscapes. If you want the sound to come from a certain location then you just need set a position in the soundscape and use an info_target to show where in the map the position is. It is far simpler than it may sound. The key is learning how to correctly create the soundscape file itself.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DocRock on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 am

For me, in Half-Life goldsource, ambient_generics don't work unless the map is quicksaved/quickloaded. After the quickload, all the sounds work fine. I've done a ton of searching online for any idea why this may be happening. Any ideas?
DocRock
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Ambient_Generics are very simple to use and set up once you get the hang of them. I recommend you learn more in general though if you still don't know how to set up a simple trigger that plays a sound when the player walks in to a room. Try HalfWit-2 for all sorts of crazy random tutorials about specific entities and doodads that were featured in HL2 and other Valve games. Don't be afraid to choose stuff at random. Anything will help you get a better understand of entities in general.

http://www.halfwit-2.com/?page=tutorials

But here's some info on the entities you need for what you want to achieve:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Trigger_once

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... nt_generic

Those are literally all you need to get what you want (the scream when the player enters a room). To start, place your ambient generic where you want. IF you want the scream to come from a local spot, place it where you want that spot to be and adjust the sound radius to your liking. If you want the scream to sound like it's coming from everywhere, there's a Flag you can tick for that (play everywhere). After you select your desired scream sound, name the ambient_generic "scream" or whatever you wish.

Now, wherever it is you plan on having the player enter the room, cover that with a brush with the tools/trigger texture (transparent orange with "Trigger" written on it) applied to it. Make sure the player can't bypass the trigger brush and enter the room without touching it, otherwise it won't work properly.

Tie that brush to an entity. Set the entity type to "trigger_once." In the properties of this trigger_once, you'll want to go to the Flags tab and set it so that ONLY players trigger this entity. Now, in the Outputs tab, you need to set up an output so that whenever this trigger is touched, it will play your scream sound. Create a new output, and set it up so that On Trigger; target entity Scream (or whatever you named your ambient generic); Play Sound. I'd load up Hammer and screen shot how it should look in the GUI but I'm a lazy prick. You should be able to discern what goes where. The output options are pretty self-explanatory.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DocRock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 am

yeah I've been mapping for 12+ years so I know how the ambients work n stuff. I got a whole mod where i can hear the sounds perfectly while in dev mode. i go to play it in single player and none of the sounds work unless i quicksave/quickload - then the sounds work perfectly! I cant figure out why???
DocRock
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 am

So in other words you gotta load your quick save for it to work? Sounds like some pre-caching issue but I only mod Source so I would have no idea about how Gold Source works in that area.
Epifire

Postby DocRock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 am

this is in Half-Life goldsource. yes, while running the mod I quicksave then immediately quickload. after it loads, all sounds work perfectly. Sounds also work fine if I start a new game in Half-Life.
DocRock
Regular
Regular

Postby Mehis on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

DocRock wrote:this is in Half-Life goldsource. yes, while running the mod I quicksave then immediately quickload. after it loads, all sounds work perfectly. Sounds also work fine if I start a new game in Half-Life.

GolSrc is so silly, many things could go wrong. Are all the sounds broken? Are they all custom sounds? Are you trying to loop the sounds? Are you sure you're using the right format? Have you changed any of the settings like dynamic preset, pitch, etc.?

But in the end, I think the problem is you or your mod. I'm not sure if you compile your own mod but if you do, you should go check ambient_generic in the source code.
Mehis
Regular
Regular

Postby DocRock on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 am

I'm using all stock half-life sounds. I didnt change anything in the presets, etc of the sound. The only thing I changed was the radius of the sound in the map in the flags of the ambient_generic.

The sounds work fine ONLY IF I quicksave/quickload. After the load, the sounds work fine in every single map and there are 30+ maps to the mod.

The quicksave/quickload is the only way they work. Why?
DocRock
Regular
Regular

Return to Audio