Very new to this. Please help?

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Very new to this. Please help?

Postby ThaGuyWithCake on Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 am

This will be my first time ever using custom sounds. I have my sound files ready, where would I code the files for the character or even anything else? (I.E. I want to change the footstep sounds rather than have the default ones that valve has, I want to make the character make a grunt noise with a custom sound I have when he jumps, sounds for when he gets shot, change the sounds of bullets impacting with materials, etc.)
ThaGuyWithCake

Re: Very new to this. Please help?

Postby LordDz on Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm

LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ThaGuyWithCake on Sat May 21, 2011 6:36 am

I appreciate your help, but neither of those explain step by step on how to do it, I also don't have a sound.gcf file within my mod
ThaGuyWithCake

Postby Jordash on Sat May 21, 2011 6:53 am

There isn't going to be a step by step tutorial on exactly what you want. The links Lorddz shared will probably be the simplest explanation of what you need to do.

If you want basic info on sound in source have a look here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phraggah on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 am

Jordash wrote:There isn't going to be a step by step tutorial on exactly what you want. The links Lorddz shared will probably be the simplest explanation of what you need to do.

If you want basic info on sound in source have a look here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts

I think this is what you're going to have to do, but what you want to start with is taking the current soundscript for walking in whatever game (should be /scripts...check the gcf!) All you'll have to do is put them in the right format and change the location in the script.

Alternatively, you could rename your custom sounds to the same filename as the stock ones and just override them.
Phraggah
Regular
Regular

Return to Audio