Good Sources for Weapon Sounds?

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Good Sources for Weapon Sounds?

Postby Epifire on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 am

Trying to get some of the sounds setup for a electricity gun I am working on at the moment and was wondering if people had any good tips for places to go for sources that they have found to work well.

At the moment I am using my $300.00 mini Korg keyboard to lay down a base but not much to back the fine sounds that denote action with the weapon. Points that could sum up how the weapon needs to sound when held/fired...

-Very raw and almost dangerously unstable.
-A lot of bass/powering from low to high pitches, when powered up.
-Idle sounds should be possible with just the things my synthesizer can come up with. *Mostly low bass with a sort of active turn over*
-Piercing and harsh sounding electricity when fired. *So nothing smooth, so more dominate treble with sharp cutoffs*
-Less mechanical sounds and more electrical impulses, internal sounding clunks at most but no real moving parts.

So pretty much something that gives off the feeling that it is all solid state in mechanical composition, but almost frighteningly dangerous to use especially when very close to the target. I know most of those feelings you convey to the player are generally done with the output of the the weapon and effects/animations and such but sounds also really bind it all together. That is generally what I am trying to bring across sounds wise but it is much easier said then done.

As I said either finding good sources (which generally is ridiculously difficult) or being able to manufacture the sounds, I am all open for suggestions in regards to good working techniques for coming up with them. Any advice would really be appreciated.
Epifire

Re: Good Sources for Weapon Sounds?

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm thinking about the sound effects that keep popping up in games and movies. I can recall about 3 certain sounds I've heard over the past 15 years, starting from Command&Conquer and ending with whatever action packed TV show I can't name right now.

I think the first step should be trying to track down where these come from, my guess is they are freeware because why would they otherwise be everywhere? The second step would be hunting down the sound effect for the tesla coil.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 am

Hmm I think I know what Tesla sounds you mean when you said C@C since I played those quite a bit. Hey a good example for what I am trying to nail a bit more at least for how I wanted to try and get it to sound is much like the electric gun used in the Matrix Trilogy.

Track to 0:30 to see what I mean...

Maybe a bit more noisier yet and less smooth over their's but I thought they did really well with getting the volatile sounding bolts coming down from that high pitch.

Pretty sure they used some rocket report, and two different electric sounds blended to make their active bolts sound but that is just my speculation. Thing is that high screeching rocket report is hard to come by all on it's lonesome self in a clean recording. More searching may avail me something or just picking up some good recording equipment and waiting till July. XD
Epifire

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Do you HAVE TO wait till July? Also, good clean recording can be accomplished when recording under a blanket, therefore, logic dictates you should record the rockets under the blanket as well. Don't forget to film the whole ordeal.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Well unless I manage to get the sounds some other way I gotta go out recording them myself. Thing is to launch rockets around here Laws state that it has to be in season otherwise... well yeah it's outta the question then. On top of that I need a mobile recording system that will capture a good recording. The only recording I have ever done was by direct connection from musical instruments to my PC sound card.
Epifire

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 am

go find a 3rd grade classroom and teach them how to build rockets. then you get to build and launch a rocket.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 am

http://www.freesound.org

Could have sworn I already posted this in this thread, maybe the mods thought I was being mean and removed my post. :|
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 am

Armageddon wrote:http://www.freesound.org

I forgot to post this! I've used it before, pretty awesome site.

Armageddon wrote:Could have sworn I already posted this in this thread, maybe the mods thought I was being mean and removed my post. :|

Nope. No one deleted it, according to the logs.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:51 am

aka Gary did it
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Yeah I had been looking around for some time on freesound before I came in and made this thread. Best site I know of so far but still can't quite nail those sounds I am looking for.

Just likely gonna keep searching and taking my time with it.
Epifire

Return to Audio