Art Battles - Suggestions

Something a bit different, be it pen, pencil or paintbrush

Moderators: 904, Jest@

Art Battles - Suggestions

Postby 904 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Well, the first Interlopers art battle was a big success. And that means the art battles are here to stay.

To streamline this more into the future, we need to establish some basic rules, format, duration etc. Maybe even what an Art Battle would be... And of course we need themes for them!

If you have ideas on how to shape this in the future, post them here. Feel free to discuss, but try to keep it tight.

Looking forward to doing this, so get those ideas out!

Cheers,
Design Section Moderator

Re: Art Battles - Suggestions

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't think there should be a time limit for creating your entry, but the duration of the entire competition should only be a week or two at most depending on if there are holidays or the theme of the battle.

As a suggestion for a battle, I think we should try out making an environment in photoshop without copy and pasting images into it to edit, so it'd be like painting an environment.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Zipfinator wrote:I don't think there should be a time limit for creating your entry, but the duration of the entire competition should only be a week or two at most depending on if there are holidays or the theme of the battle.

As a suggestion for a battle, I think we should try out making an environment in photoshop without copy and pasting images into it to edit, so it'd be like painting an environment.

That sounds like a good idea, but there would be a definite bias towards those with tablets, which would be unfair to those that couldn't afford them.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Phott on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 pm

ad_hominem wrote:
Zipfinator wrote:I don't think there should be a time limit for creating your entry, but the duration of the entire competition should only be a week or two at most depending on if there are holidays or the theme of the battle.

That sounds like a good idea, but there would be a definite bias towards those with tablets, which would be unfair to those that couldn't afford them.

I wouldn't be so sure, I feel that my tablet is quite overrated, mainly because I probably didn't learn it good enough. I use a tool in Paint.NET where you draw a line and manipulate it on 4 "attachments" or whatever it's called. That's how I did anything of my latest art stuff.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Something using pen and paper, that way everyone can do it.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm

I'd like a 'character' theme, where entrants have to design a character. However, I don't mean another faceless drone found in the majority of concept art, but a character. Somebody that you can just look at and tell they have a backstory, and an interesting one at that.

And I agree with Killa, I'd like just a simple pen/pencil + paper contest at some point as well.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby vcool on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Well I will be using pen/paper+scanner combo all the time anyways, since I can't draw with my tablet.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby punky on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

How about bring the texture battle's back, or just do one and after worths do another theme. Charcter is good for me too. Or an art battle around how you think a certain character/weapon/thing will look in hl2 episode 3. Or design a new banner for interlopers?
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:31 pm

punky wrote:How about bring the texture battle's back

that would be useful :) (because this is a level-design forum, not deviantart)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ghost|con on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 am

Make it like the Modeling challenges, so it doesn't interfere with the map battles. :D
Half-Life 2
Subvertus http://subvertus.g2mods.net/
ghost|con
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Shred on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:51 am

ghost|con wrote:Make it like the Modeling challenges, so it doesn't interfere with the map battles. :D
When life gives you lemons make lemonade, take a piss in it, and serve it to the people that you hate.
Shred
Regular
Regular

Postby punky on Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 am

Repost :p
Everyone knows that Interlopers has a fair amount of map/model/art battles going on lately, but I'm wondering where the texture battle's went. Creating textures is an important aspect of level-design and it would be useful for me and other level-designers if we had some battles again to sharpen up our texture-skills a bit and have some competition.
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AlexCrafter on Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I think we aught to have a t-shirt design contest. I don't know about any of you but last art battle with the album covers I really wanted to see some of those on shirts.
AlexCrafter
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby RefaelBA on Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Music album covers,
Episode 3 box designs,
Your-Dream-Game box design / poster,
Best / Worst movie-based game covers,
Recreate famous drawings \ scenes using HL art,
Recreate HL scenes most realistically...
RefaelBA

Postby Duke Nukem on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

BlackAndWhite
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Next

Return to Art Challenges