UV mapping messed up

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

UV mapping messed up

Postby MrSometimes on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 am

So I was trying to do some UV mapping on one of my models, but that's when it got a bit weird. When I did the auto-mapping some parts of the map appeared normally, but other parts became extremely oversized and placed so that they cover the other parts of the mapping. You can probably see what I mean on the screens:

ImageImageImage

So I basically wonder how this happened and what I should do to fix it. Thanks in advance.
MrSometimes
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: UV mapping messed up

Postby polycruncher on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm

That looks to me like you tried to edit some of the geometry in the 'edit mesh' modifier at the bottom of the stack after you had created some projections. If you want to edit geometry during the UV process, you can add another 'edit poly' modifier above of the UVunwrap modifier. This allows you to add edges, cut holes and some other actions. However, there are issues when you alter the border of a UV island in certain cases. This can screw up the projections, try clicking the 'preserve UVs' in the new 'poly edit' modifier. I'm also not sure what you mean by 'automatic mapping'. Is there any particular reason why you're using 'edit mesh' and not 'edit poly'?
-applaunch 420 compile every day
polycruncher
Regular
Regular

Postby MrSometimes on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm

polycruncher wrote:That looks to me like you tried to edit some of the geometry in the 'edit mesh' modifier at the bottom of the stack after you had created some projections. If you want to edit geometry during the UV process, you can add another 'edit poly' modifier above of the UVunwrap modifier. This allows you to add edges, cut holes and some other actions. However, there are issues when you alter the border of a UV island in certain cases. This can screw up the projections, try clicking the 'preserve UVs' in the new 'poly edit' modifier. I'm also not sure what you mean by 'automatic mapping'. Is there any particular reason why you're using 'edit mesh' and not 'edit poly'?

No I didn't try to edit the geometry, so it can't have been that. And by automatic mapping I mean the "Normal mapping" command from the 'edit' menu in the 'Unvwrap UVW' modified.
MrSometimes
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Habboi on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 pm

So it sounds like you've never properly UV mapped before and used the auto features that Max offers. Not a good idea if that is the case.

Better to do it by hand.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby polycruncher on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 pm

The auto unwrapping features in max are pretty rubbish for anything except cubes, most people use projections and pelt mapping. I'm not exactly sure why your error occurred, I've had that problem before, but only when I was initially learning how to unwrap in Max, or I'd made a mistake with the modifier stack or tried to re project some faces that were part of a UV island. It's probably best to just to re-do the UV maps using projections.
-applaunch 420 compile every day
polycruncher
Regular
Regular

Postby ReservoirWOLF on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

yeah... i dont use auto... do it manually and u avoid errors.
ReservoirWOLF
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby StefanC19 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:44 pm

I suggest selecting what u want to unwarp and using cylinder mapping, from what I am seeing it looks like ur using best align or something and planar. I always use cylindrical mapping for round parts like that and no problem occur
StefanC19
Regular
Regular

Return to Custom Asset Help