(Request) Ice Texture

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Re: (Request) Ice Texture

Postby Groxkiller585 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 am

Hey Ark, mind if I use your Ice idea for Portal? You'll get credit.

I had this awesome idea where, you have a wall of water that allows your and portals through it, but cannot hold them. Then you freeze it, and you can't pass it now but you can place portals on it. Would be a very interesting mechanic.

Only issue i'm getting so far with transparent portalable ice is this:

Though that may be my custom Portal skin, not sure. (BTW this was my ice texture, it is cubemap based but the cubemaps in this map, for whatever reason, refused to build. )
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby omnicoder on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:14 am

Portals clear everything special from surfaces they are applied to so that effects they didn't plan for don't draw above the portal view. No fix for it.
If only the future implemented IForeseeable...
"whats threading? does it have to do with strings?" - stegarootbeer
omnicoder
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Groxkiller585 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 am

omnicoder wrote:Portals clear everything special from surfaces they are applied to so that effects they didn't plan for don't draw above the portal view. No fix for it.

How about an invisible surface put just above the ice that holds the portal, no effect issue on ice.

Yay I fixed the issue! :D Only real issue now is setting it up believeably. Plus the invisi-texture would have to be nonsolid to the player and everything else but allow Portals, or the invisi-texture has to have the ice parameters.

Second one seems easier, will probably go with that. Plus I could reconvert the ice to a refract (refracts only work well on func_brushes, and entifying brushes removes the texture's $surfraceprop.) if I really needed too.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Ark11 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:35 am

Groxkiller585 wrote:Hey Ark, mind if I use your Ice idea for Portal? You'll get credit.

Sure, you can use my idea! :wink:
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Groxkiller585 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Ark11 wrote:
Groxkiller585 wrote:Hey Ark, mind if I use your Ice idea for Portal? You'll get credit.

Sure, you can use my idea! :wink:

Yay, thanks for permission, again you'll be credited. Good luck on finding a good ice texture; I may send you mine once I have the bugs fixed and such.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby omnicoder on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:07 pm

If you stick the portal off of the surface like that it's easy to crash the game forcing yourself or objects behind it. No dice there either.
omnicoder
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Groxkiller585 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:23 pm

omnicoder wrote:If you stick the portal off of the surface like that it's easy to crash the game forcing yourself or objects behind it. No dice there either.

Ok, how 'bout:

Same as ice texture (solid and eveything) But is invisible, and the actual texture is one unit below just for show.

Therefore it should work exactly like if you cut a concrete block one unit into it; portal still goes on it, no crash. (Though I hear 1 unit thick walls and Portals are not friendly, very glitchy, so maybe 4 or 5 units but higher than that and it starts looking suspicious)
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby city14 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm

2 thick?

So an invisible wall above the ice texture that is two units thick?
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby omnicoder on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Thin walls behind Portals are bad because of a physics glitch. If you have a 1-24 unit wall you can stick a cube through the portal then jump on the invisible back half of it that sticks through the back of the portal through the wall.
omnicoder
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Groxkiller585 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 am

omnicoder wrote:Thin walls behind Portals are bad because of a physics glitch. If you have a 1-24 unit wall you can stick a cube through the portal then jump on the invisible back half of it that sticks through the back of the portal through the wall.

hmmm....then we have a problem.

I recently found out that if you put a face of a texture in the area of another world brush or func_detail (AKA they are overlapping), the face is deleted. (most likely to save on resources)

So if I tried to make the solid bit over 24 units, it would be too far off the ice, and if I tried to place it one unit above the ice BUT have it have a thickness of 24+ units then the ice won't render bcause of that. Or is that odd glitch just from func_details, or maybe it was the texture I was using...I'll test it ASAP.

I really didn't want to but if all else fails the ice will have to be nontransparent, which sorta wrecks some ideas I had.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Redcow on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:30 pm

You should post them here too, these look really nice!
Redcow

Previous

Return to Custom Asset Help