Imported an SMD into Max- model is tilted ever so slightly

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Imported an SMD into Max- model is tilted ever so slightly

Postby 2007CA on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Working on reskinning a prop required me to bring the SMD into 3dsmax, and so far everything has gone well except that upon import the model is tilted a small amount- about a degree downward and about a degree backward. Just a small tweak to the bone the whole prop is skinned to and it appears straight in the viewports. I've never done this before so I'm not quite sure if this sort of tweak is normally required. Also I'm not sure what to do to the bone now that I've rotated it- is there a way to tell it that its current position should now be its "straight" default?
2007CA

Re: Imported an SMD into Max- model is tilted ever so slight

Postby 2007CA on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Further research reveals that this particular prop appears to be titled everywhere, just to begin with. Not sure why this is so, or if it's worth bothering to fix.
2007CA

Postby 2007CA on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:46 pm

It appears that I can set the geometry upright again if I wish, but if I tie it to the static_prop bone, it'll go back to tilting. I've never used bones in Max before- how does the static_prop bone create the tilted position for the geometry, and how do I make it stop?
2007CA

Postby crazycarl on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 am

The animation smd you are using probably has a small rotation on the bone. Just export a new animation smd, with one frame, with the bone in the position you want. You can actually use the reference smd as your idle animation, since it already contains a single animation frame.

Also for a static prop, you don't need to have any bones in Max. The exporter will add in the single bone that you need for it to work.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby 2007CA on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:17 am

crazycarl wrote:The animation smd you are using probably has a small rotation on the bone. Just export a new animation smd, with one frame, with the bone in the position you want. You can actually use the reference smd as your idle animation, since it already contains a single animation frame.

Also for a static prop, you don't need to have any bones in Max. The exporter will add in the single bone that you need for it to work.

I see. Thanks.
2007CA

Return to Custom Asset Help