Making "double sided" polygons in XSI?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Making "double sided" polygons in XSI?

Postby Grim on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:55 am

Hello, some time ago I started to model stuff in Softimage XSI, and while making a humanoid char I stumbled on a specific problem that I could not overcome or find any solution to.

I went through many tutorials and guides, but none of those said anything about the issue, so I really hope you guys can help out, cos it's bugging me for months and has put my modeling on halt :(

Generally I can't find a way to apply texture or normal map from both sides of one sided polygon (or make that polygon "doublesided" for that matter)
I'm trying to make cloth acessories like flags, capes, cloak's, skirts etc. for some of the models, and such objects are made of cloth so I extruded polys from edges to make them thin and more fabric like, but these new polygons have their normals facing the camera on the front side of the polygon face (so the front side is visible and fully selectable/texturable) while backside remains black & nonselectable. So if i'd kept it that way , and Uv-ed, textured only the front side then the inner side off the skirt/cape would be black or possibly invisible when put into the game engine.

I've checked some models from Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines game, and those seem to appear as two faces with merged backsides, so their normals do face both directions (front & back) but they also yield double edges, which make strange texture/normal map overlapping when put ingame.

My goal is to paint detail (normal maps and texture) from both inner and the outer side of the cloak/ cape and achieve something like this.
In this excellent tutorial main char has this three cloth pieces dangling from her belt, and they are textured from inner and outer side,have normal maps applied to them and look perfect which makes me belive there must be a better way then just glueing two faces together.

So if anyone has any knowledge on how to achieve the same thing in XSI please share, it'd be greatly appreciated =)

Cheers!
Grim
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Making "double sided" polygons in XSI?

Postby Oskmos on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 am

If you want unique texturespace for both front and back you need two faces. If not then a "nocull"-command in the .vmt will make it visible from both sides even if its just a single face.
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Yep that, though you might consider making them 3dimensional, just a really thin two sided sheet with a thin edge

Also, FYI, that vampire game had cloth simulation I believe
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Grim on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 am

Oskmos wrote:If you want unique texturespace for both front and back you need two faces. If not then a "nocull"-command in the .vmt will make it visible from both sides even if its just a single face.

Ah thnx alot, will try that when I acctually reach the .vmt part, so far I was having issues with having those textures appear in xsi preview window from the front and back side on the model itself. But managed to overcome the issue with front back node in render tree editor. Pluging one diffuse map in the front and the other as the back of the polygon, same works with normal maps,but i hope it works in the hl2 engine too :D

Yep that, though you might consider making them 3dimensional, just a really thin two sided sheet with a thin edge

Also, FYI, that vampire game had cloth simulation I believe

The Vampire game indeed had simualation system that Troika made by themselves, cos they were working on unfinished version of the Source engine, but lateron simmilar functionality was added by Valve with $jigglebone command, so hoppefully that'll work just as good
Grim
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Custom Asset Help