Squished dragon ragdoll

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Squished dragon ragdoll

Postby Lhorkan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Hey everyone, pre-emptive happy new year and all that!

Let's get down to business right away: I'm making a ragdoll for a dragon model. After a lot of effort, I got the collision model to show up properly in the model viewer:

However! If you look in the viewport with collision models being shown as the red wireframe underneath the dragon model, you will see only the root part of the collision model is showing (and that at the wrong angle and position even, to add insult to injury).

In-game, the ragdoll looks as follows:

It spawns at the origin of the map.

The only way I got the ragdoll to unfurl was by $jointmerging all the parts together, but then the collision model is completely truncated of course, and no longer a ragdoll at all!

Now, like a good forum user I did a search on the subject before, and I found a year old thread of someone with the exact same issue. His solution was reducing the amount of convex pieces; I did the same. I went from 31 to 29, knowing that 30 convex pieces should in fact work, because the player model ragdolls for PVKII, the mod for which I am making this dragon (custom map though), use this amount. Thus, reducing the amount of convex pieces can't be the answer.

Any ideas as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, because I am all out of them myself. :(

Also, just for the fun of it, a messed up model import pic!

EDIT: I just lowered the convex pieces count to 25 for good measure (Valve wiki specifies 25 as max for ragdolls), but to no avail! Let it henceforth be known that that entry on the Valva wiki is untrue, and ragdolls should indeed be able to have more than 25 convex pieces.
Lhorkan

Re: Squished dragon ragdoll

Postby Lhorkan on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 am

Well, this makes me feel kinda stupid, but when I tested the dragons in-game again, the ragdolls actually worked! Before, when the collision model showed up wrong in Hammer, it was always messed up in the game too, but I guess this isn't true.

So, I guess this might actually mean that you shouldn't exceed 25 convex pieces; that Valve wiki really made me eat my words there.

I haven't fine-tuned the constraints yet, so the tail and wings are a tad wonky, but have a peek anyway:

Lhorkan

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:21 am

I know diddly-shit about modelling, but i like your model.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Lhorkan on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks mate, but that's not my model; it's made by a dude called LordTrilobite who works alongside me on the map. If anyone's interested in following the development of the flyable, fire-breathing, people-stomping, and now ragdolling dragons, you can do so in this thread. You'll want to skip to later pages to see the recent developments with the dragon model instead of the brush-based version.
Lhorkan

Return to Custom Asset Help