Allying decals to textures [In Ps]

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Allying decals to textures [In Ps]

Postby The Giblets of Jesus on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Hey all,

Currently I'm making a snow themed map for CS:S and for the lower parts of my outside walls, I'm using the same texture all around some buildings. Since this is snow / tundra themed, I was going to add the \snow01 decal to all of the lower parts, but this soon became time consuming and impractical.

So, I thought I'd be a much better idea just to create a new texture, with the \concretewall010c base and simply layer the decal over it, save it and use it for my map.

However, god hates me and has made decals rather impossible to copy across in their normal form and I can't copy just the alpha layer over without the black background with it :?.

So my question is:
Is there a method of copying decals across into another file without the background.

Regards,
Gibletz.

P.S.
Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm not great with textures ¬_¬
The Giblets of Jesus
Regular
Regular

Re: Allying decals to textures [In Ps]

Postby Black_Stormy on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 am

I'm not totally sure what you mean but have you tried opening the decal in GIMP or PS (with their respectable VTF plugins) and saving it as a .png? You might be able to export it easier that way.
Black_Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jordash on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 am

If you are using photoshop, select the alpha channel, then hit "load channel as selection" (it is a button at the bottom of the channels panel which looks like a few dots arranged in a circle). Then change the channel back to RGB and copy, when you paste it should be exactly as the decal appears ingame.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Groxkiller585 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 pm

I just open the VTF in paint.net, add it as a layer to the texture, do some touch-up stuff to make it blend well, and that's it. Most decals have an alpha, if it has black background then it uses $vertexalpha for ingame transparency and there you just have to delete all the black, which can be time consuming. (Or in GIMP, color-to-alpha, choose pure black.)
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MayheM on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:26 am

There is a tutorial on www.cgtextures.com for blending two images together. It is similar to what I think you are wanting to do...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tron00 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:53 am

http://worldofleveldesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=383 I've always liked this tutorial. He does blended snow in it.
tron00
Regular
Regular

Postby cpl. punishment on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 am

CTRL click on the alpha channel of the snow image, switch to the layer, copy, and paste it into the wall image.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Custom Asset Help