Need help from someone who can edit a map for me

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Need help from someone who can edit a map for me

Postby CTN on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi guys! I'm getting ready to start work on my second machinima series but I have a bit of a problem with my map. I will be using original HL2 maps throughout this series which are faily demanding on compile time. I need to be able to reduce the compile time to a bare minimum because I oftenly have to tweak my scene a few times before I shoot it. Now, I will be using the first map from HL2.

So, this is what the helping is about:
- breaking the map into two separate smaller maps;
- removing the Gman scene completely and spawning the player on the platform where he gets off the train in the game (I tried to do this by deleting a lot of stuff but the train wouldn't move anymore);
- getting rid of the "flowportal" or "portalflow" during compiling which adds A LOT of time to the job;
- as for the rest, I need everything else to behave exactly as in the game so no changes need to be made here.

I can't reward you in any way but adding your name to the credits list when the machinima is done. If you're curious about my work you can watch the first episode of my other series, Little Freemans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE4M6I7mCiE
CTN
Regular
Regular

Re: Need help from someone who can edit a map for me

Postby LordDz on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Nvm. I read the whole post now.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby acid on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:51 pm

You can't exactly reduce portal flow computing other than by setting VIS to fast. An alternative would be using http://qsextreme.com/vbct/ as a compile module as it doesn't suffocate your CPU and somehow manages to get done faster than the regular tools.
acid

Postby LordDz on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 am

acid wrote:You can't exactly reduce portal flow computing other than by setting VIS to fast. An alternative would be using http://qsextreme.com/vbct/ as a compile module as it doesn't suffocate your CPU and somehow manages to get done faster than the regular tools.

Thought if I remember well, Hl2 maps has a few places where they could use some func_details..
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby CTN on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:10 am

It seems things are going well so far. I got rid of the portal flow by deleting most of the map. Let's just hope it doesn't come back again when I use the deleted part in the second episode! I got rid of the Gmod scene and got the train running again by fixing the logic_relay I found on the tracks.

I have one more problem. I'm trying to add a custom model NPC on the train. If I use a normal npc_citizen and change the model, I get an error but I can parent it to the train. If I use a npc_combine_s, the custom model works but I can't parent it to the train so it just spawns it at the destination. How can I fix this?
CTN
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:10 pm

CTN wrote:It seems things are going well so far. I got rid of the portal flow by deleting most of the map. Let's just hope it doesn't come back again when I use the deleted part in the second episode! I got rid of the Gmod scene and got the train running again by fixing the logic_relay I found on the tracks.

I have one more problem. I'm trying to add a custom model NPC on the train. If I use a normal npc_citizen and change the model, I get an error but I can parent it to the train. If I use a npc_combine_s, the custom model works but I can't parent it to the train so it just spawns it at the destination. How can I fix this?

Pretty sure you can make NPCs play animations in gmod, so just remove the citizen ingame with the remover tool, spawn a new NPC and make it play the animation?
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby CTN on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:17 pm

I have have been trying to do this for about 8 months. Gmod will never play my scene, so that's out of the question. Anyway, I think we can close this thread, as the map problems are mostly fixed. i opened a new thread for the NPC problem in the Hammer section.
CTN
Regular
Regular

Return to Custom Asset Help