Reflective texture for radioactive glow, or lighting?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Reflective texture for radioactive glow, or lighting?

Postby draconic on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

I've barely scratched the surface concerning customizing textures via reflectivity or any sort of 'glow' they may give off, but I have a sort of 'toxic spill' in my map, but I can't seem to get the menacing look of radioactivity that I'm looking for.

I've heard you can add variables to textures that give them a colored glow, but how is this possible? Should I even bother or go with a certain type of lighting instead? I want to give a feel of "I better not touch that." since it will be associated with some sort of damage.

I'm not 100% on this texture, so if anyone has any better ideas for how to make it look truly menacing and dangerous, by all means, let me know! I do want it to give off some sort of glow, though.

That's the texture I'm using thus far, but it's dull and boring. Any ideas?
draconic

Re: Reflective texture for radioactive glow, or lighting?

Postby kraid on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby crazycarl on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 am

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... g_Textures

Sound and particle effects also help. If you use a trigger_hurt with radiation damage, the player will hear the click of a geiger counter (in HL2) when he's near it.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stoopdapoop on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:36 am

Kraid and crazycarl are pointing you in the right direction, but keep in mind that the texture will look different in game than it does in hammer. I say this because you supplied a hammer screengrab, and asked how you could make it look better :D
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby draconic on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:04 pm

I did use the radioactive trigger_hurt idea for the geiger counter, that helps tremendously. What I ended up doing was going with a more liquid-like texture that is reflective on its own. The lights above do the job for me!

Thanks for the help, though, I appreciate it!
draconic

Return to Custom Asset Help