SSBump map resources

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

SSBump map resources

Postby Naticus on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 pm

I’m looking for a guide on how to create self-shadowing bump maps (SSbump). Could someone direct me to a good tutorial on the topic?

I’ve already checked out Valve’s developer page, http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$ssbump but I’m looking for a more comprehensive walkthrough. Which programs are best for creating ssbump maps? What program is best for creating the grayscale heightmap file? Any tips regarding the process would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: SSBump map resources

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm

http://www.crazybump.com/

Download their tool. I suppose it makes SSBumps.

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Kosire on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Make a normalmap with the above tool and go to sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin and drag-n-drop the normalmap on normal2ssbump.exe
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:03 am

jangalomph wrote:http://www.crazybump.com/

It does not, I currently use Xnormal.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 am

SSbump generator anyone? That is what I use for several texture map creations.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Naticus on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:27 am

Smurftyours wrote:SSbump generator anyone? That is what I use for several texture map creations.

I think SSbump generator also has a normal map creator. I'm curious if it is any good. Ideally, I'd like to make my normals and ssbump in the same tool.
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ark11 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:25 am

jangalomph wrote:http://www.crazybump.com/

That's the tool I use.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Sorrow on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 am

Crazybump does not auto generate self shadowed normal maps. It generates normal maps.

height2ssbump generates shadows for light arriving from the top, bottom and right of the texture. If light arrives diagonally or from the left the nearest available baked shadows are blended between, producing an acceptable but hardly ideal image.

In order to run Height2ssbump use:

Code: Select all
height2ssbump <options> <path\to\heightmap.tga> <float|bumpscale>

The output is <input name>-ssbump.tga, in the same folder as the input file. Bumpscale controls the intensity of the ssbump (i.e. coarseness of the surface); 60 is a good starting value.
Note:Bizarrely, the tool examines only the alpha channel of the input TGA. The original alpha channel will be passed on to the output TGA, but serves no purpose and should be deleted.

NOTE In the Valve paper a normal map is sometimes referred to as a heightmap but what you're looking for is a true heightmap that needs to be inserted (grayscale, preferably 16bit, though 8 will work too ofc.)

It's often easier to create hand painted height maps in Photoshop than it is to generate them in Crazybump (unless you have either a good source or pinch everything really tight) because it usually leaves in a lot of noise and unwanted stuff.
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Naticus on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 am

Sorrow wrote:It's often easier to create hand painted height maps in Photoshop than it is to generate them in Crazybump (unless you have either a good source or pinch everything really tight) because it usually leaves in a lot of noise and unwanted stuff.

Hand painting gray scale height maps doesn't seem like it would be that easy. Could you give us an explanation of how you hand paint your height maps? Maybe with some screenshots... :D
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Surfa on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Custom Asset Help