Faceposer, scenes and choreographies

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Faceposer, scenes and choreographies

Postby jeantyu on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Hello!

I have been doing some machimina-like work in Source lately but have ran into several problems.

The first concerns the properties of the .wav file. On the Valve Dev Wiki it says:

Files should be 4-bit Microsoft ADPCM ("MSADPCM") mono .WAV files at 44kHz (44100Hz). You can also use uncompressed PCM if you don't mind large filesizes.

And well, first of all I can't export below 8 bit Mono in Adobe Soundbooth, what kind of software do you use to export your files? Then, even in 8 bit it seems to work ok in Faceposer, but the fact remains that 8 bit (let alone 4) is very low, my exported file is very noisy and crappy. How come the files made by Valve sound so good?

The second concern is about the playback of the choreography. Right now my choreography works in Source (I use Gmod), I set up my npc_citizen, then my logic_choreographed_scene. It plays ok, aside from the fact that if I approach the npc they will rotate toward me (depsite playing the animation and choreography perfectly, it is just a rotation around the Z axis) and eventually start following me.
I've tried to use different flags and parameters but I didn't succeed yet. Do you guys know the solution?

Thanks!
jeantyu

Re: Faceposer, scenes and choreographies

Postby jeantyu on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Hello,

Well, after a little trying I fugured out that using uncompressed 16bits mono wav (44khz) works very smoothly in-game (even though faceposer freezes very often).

My only problem remaining is the "pivot" problem, do you know how can I really "lock" the NPCs during the scene so they can interact perfectly according to the environement I've set?

Thanks!
jeantyu

Re: Faceposer, scenes and choreographies

Postby jeantyu on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 am

Problem solved: my skeletal animations were "gestures" instead of being "sequences"; the latter let the animation you set have full and compplete control of the npc.
jeantyu

Return to Custom Asset Help