Blending textures with seperate specularmasks?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Blending textures with seperate specularmasks?

Postby Kubata on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:10 am

Hey guys, today I have a problem that has plagued me since literally day 1 of mapping. Blending two textures together with seperate specular masks.

Can it even be done? Right now I can trick this into happening by using an overly or decal (which by default doesn't have a specular applied) and having it match up exactly with a texture that does have a specular enabled. Basically I'm trying to have a transition between dark, wet dirt (specular) and light, dry dirt (no specular). Here's an example of what I've been able to do with decals:
Is there a way to simply blend two textures together where one of them doesn't have a specular applied and the other does, using displacements? Every time I try to use basealphaenvmasks or whatever in my .vmt's my textures look like shit or won't work properly. Is there something really simple I'm overlooking?
"You can have all the cool effects and the latest technology, but if you don't nail that 30 seconds of fun, you're not gonna have a great game." - Jaime Griesemer
Kubata
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Custom Asset Help