TF2 Custom Hat

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

TF2 Custom Hat

Postby YM_Industries on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:59 am

Hello everyone,
I am making a custom hat to submit to the Steam Workshop. I think I have quite a good idea (so I wont be posting my files for fear of someone stealing it) and also have enough 3DS Max and Source knowledge to hopefully flesh it out, but I have come across a problem.
I imported the heavy SMD, made my model on his head, deleted the main heavy section, deleted all the bones except for bip_head, made my hat a skin attached to the bip_head bone, exported as smd, decompiled football_helmet (some errors showed, but it seemed to export idle.smd ok), placed idle.smd in my folder, made a .qc file (I would use the testitem wizard but it doesn't have support for vmt materials yet), and I finally get to the stage where I'm just about to compile it when:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin>studiomdl.exe "C:/<my qc file name>.qc"
WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
qdir: "c:\"
gamedir: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\<my user name>\team fortress 2\tf\"
g_path: "C:/<my qc file name> .qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "<my qc file name>.qc"
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Yoshie\Desktop\<my directory name>/<main model name>.smd
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Yoshie\Desktop\<my directory name>/idle.smd
ERROR: cannot find bone bip_head for bbox
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'player\items\heavy\<output model name>.mdl'
(Note that I have taken out some information that I wish to remain confidential)
I looked this up and apparently the warning at the start is fine to ignore. The error at the end, however, is bad. Apparently my model is not connected to the bone or something, but when I open 3DS Max and move the bone, my model moves with it. I selected my model and the bone and then pressed Ctrl+I, Delete, to get rid of anything unrelated, but still no joy. Any ideas? Is my SMD exporter not exporting the bone? If so, what smd exporter should I use? (I am using wunderboy's, http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php)
Thankyou!
YM_Industries
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: TF2 Custom Hat

Postby Jordash on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:15 am

You don't need a hitbox for a hat. But it does sound like there is a problem with your bones, maybe idle didn't export right, which doesn't matter anyway, you can export your single frame model as a sequence and call it idle, so long as you have the bip_head bone in it.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: TF2 Custom Hat

Postby YM_Industries on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:51 am

So I should export two SMDs? One called Idle and one for my main hat (and a third one for LOD1, when I get around to it)
And how do I get rid of the hitbox? I was just following a tutorial that said my .qc should look like:
$cd "C:\Users\Yoshie\Desktop\<directory>"
$modelname "player\items\heavy\<output>.mdl"
$model "Body" "<input>.smd"
$cdmaterials "\models\player\items\heavy\"
$hboxset "default"
$hbox 0 "bip_head" -4.712 -9.009 -5.734 4.712 0.007 4.244
$surfaceprop "metal"
$illumposition 0.349 0.000 80.672
$sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
Again, I've taken some things out to protect my intellectual property.
If I take out the two hbox lines will it still work?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, took that out, but now I get
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin>studiomdl.exe "C:/<qcFileName>.qc"
WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
qdir: "c:\"
gamedir: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\yjoosshhiuea101\team fortress 2\tf\"
g_path: "C:/<qcFileName>.qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "<qcFileName>.qc"
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Yoshie\Desktop\<directory>/<inputModelName>.smd
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Yoshie\Desktop\<directory>/idle.smd
---------------------
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\<username>\team fortress 2\tf\models/player\items\heavy\<output>.mdl:
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\<username>\team fortress 2\tf\models/player\items\heavy\<output>.mdl! (Check for write enable)
Any ideas?
Nevermind, apparently TF2 decided to automatically delete my directory structure. I remade it and it all went smoothly.
Now I'm getting an error saying "Wearable item: Backwards min/max." It would appear that there is something wrong with my bounding box... Does a hat even need a bounding box!?
Alright, made my bounding box like this:
$bbox -1 -1 -1 1 1 1
and compiled, loaded up itemtest, set everything up, and my hat seems to be invisible...
Any ideas?
(Also, I merged all my double-posts)
Last edited by YM_Industries on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
YM_Industries
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Custom Asset Help