UVW image size confusion

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

UVW image size confusion

Postby Craminator on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:04 am

When I load a image into my materials in max and display them in the UVW editor background they seem too small. So the other day I was working with two different images. One was 512 x 512 and the other is 512 x 32. The 512 x 32 displays at double or triple the size - which is what I want my 512 x 512 to show up as.

I'm at the same zoom ratio on both images. It'd be really nice to get a bigger display than the default checker size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Map it up! Current Project : cs_slowtech
Craminator

Re: UVW image size confusion

Postby Will_B on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm not too sure what you mean. The only usable space on the UV map is the square that texture is filling, you can go over it but you'll see what happens when you do. Open 'Unwrap Options' and have a fiddle in there.

Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Craminator on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks will, you definitely solved my issue.

I assumed that render width and height set the render UV template sizes, not the editing tile sizes. Thanks again.
Craminator

Postby Will_B on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm

So you found your solution ?
Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Craminator on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 am

I did. You have to check the [use custom bitmap size] button for it to recognize the dimensions of the image you are working with. Pretty nifty. It was a pain working with a 512 x 512 image at 256 x 246 in the UVW editor. My UV maps are already looking better. Thanks!
Craminator

Return to Custom Asset Help