Creating Physics Prop in 3ds Max

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Creating Physics Prop in 3ds Max

Postby shawnolson on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am

With an update today to Wall Worm that included many tweaks to the prop_data and custom gibs functions, I decided to finally release a video detailing how to do a phys prop in Wall Worm. The video starts with a simple phys prop... then does a more advanced prop with custom gibs.

For more docs and the sample file used in the video, see Prop Data and Custom Gibs.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Re: Creating Physics Prop in 3ds Max

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am

Pretty cool. Good work. Really speeds up the gib process.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby shawnolson on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:12 am

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:Pretty cool. Good work. Really speeds up the gib process.

Thanks.

Except for a few people I've explained the process to in the past, I think few have really benefitted from this feature. Like with many things in WW, I add them and then have a hard time finding time to explain them to people. This feature has been around for well over a year... I fear that by the time I can document all the features in WW... Source will go extinct! :P
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Sathor on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 am

I am still amazed how much work you actually put into this. Do you have any numbers how many people actually use your tool?

Good work :smt023
Sathor

Postby source-maps on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 am

so erh, with this tool you can actually export to smd in 3dsmax 2013
that's great news because I was getting sick and tired of exporting back and forth between my laptop/desktop
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby shawnolson on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Sathor wrote:I am still amazed how much work you actually put into this. Do you have any numbers how many people actually use your tool?

Good work :smt023

Thanks!

It's hard for me to estimate the number of users. The WW forums have over a hundred members... but not all WW users are forum members. Based on traffic and random support request emails, my best guess is roughly a thousand regular users. But really that number is probably completely off. Maybe it's just me and the 10 monkeys I've enslaved to do my dirty work :) Saying 1,000 makes me feel that the time I take documenting things and putting together videos isn't a complete waste of my time :P

source-maps wrote:so erh, with this tool you can actually export to smd in 3dsmax 2013
that's great news because I was getting sick and tired of exporting back and forth between my laptop/desktop

Yes, WW should work with all future versions of Max the day they are released since it is MAXScipt based. There are problems with vanilla Max 2012 (if no service packs/product updates are installed)... but yes, I've been using WW on 3ds Max 2013 since it came out to export models, materials, etc.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Return to Custom Asset Help