VTFs becoming green when compiled

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Re: VTFs becoming green when compiled

Postby blackmantis357 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:It un-aligns the texture when you save it with a different program? That sounds all wrong. The only way that can happen is if the texture image is being moved when it saves, otherwise it's something to do with the UV co-ords being modified somehow. The GIMP VTF plugin allows for like thirty different compression settings. Try them all, I assume the ps plugin has similar options. Don't use VTFedit or VTEX, they were useful back when there were no plugins for image editing programs but now they just complicate a simple process.

They're misaligned when using the photoshop and VTFEdit plugins, not VTEX however. The image is not moved around, it seems to be Source misreading something in the VTF.

or

Both appear fine in the editor, but ingame/hammer:

Gambini wrote:Your texture turns greenish because the DTX compression method, it´s always been like that. If you can´t live with it save your textures in BGR888 but beware they´re gonna eat much more memory.

Just for your info these are the most common vmf formats:

DTX1: Compressed texture. Turns to be greenish as you described, mostly with grayscales. Also it may expose some artifacts specially with fine gradients.
DTX3: Same but with a 1bit (monochrome) alpha channel
DTX5: Same but with 8bits alpha
BGR888: Uncompressed texture format (may take up to 4-5 times the filesize of a DTX with the same resolution)
BGRA8888: Same than above but with an alpha channel.

Fair enough, doesn't fuss me too much, I don't really have that many white textures, although valve obviously figured out a way to do it as the first texture in the first post is theirs and is the standard filesize of 341kb, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the reference though, I'll see if I can figure out a way.
blackmantis357

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 pm

blackmantis357 wrote:Both appear fine in the editor, but ingame/hammer:

I have used vtfedit for a long time now and have never seen it do such a thing with textures I have used for environments or models. Possibly the problem is on your end rather than the program?
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby blackmantis357 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Smurftyours wrote:
blackmantis357 wrote:Both appear fine in the editor, but ingame/hammer:

I have used vtfedit for a long time now and have never seen it do such a thing with textures I have used for environments or models. Possibly the problem is on your end rather than the program?

Maybe, it's done this on every single computer system I've ever owned, and with all vtfs that people supply me made in vtfedit. That being the case, I have no idea what is causing it, but it is the reason I can't really use vtfedit textures or photoshop-plugin ones. The only ones I've never had issues with are vtex ones.
blackmantis357

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Can't you bother someone to test it in their Photoshop?
Or, a bit more radical option, consider going for a new colour-scheme or just re-use Valve textures.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby blackmantis357 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 am

ErikKiller wrote:Can't you bother someone to test it in their Photoshop?
Or, a bit more radical option, consider going for a new colour-scheme or just re-use Valve textures.

I've had people test it in their photoshop. I've had people make textures for me and send them but they still don't work properly in the game or editor.

I'm going to just use a different colour scheme. I think the best way is to use uncompressed textures as mentioned above, or just make them different shades/colours.
blackmantis357

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 am

It's a problem on your end then blackmantis. I'd suggest reinstalling the game.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby blackmantis357 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Armageddon wrote:It's a problem on your end then blackmantis. I'd suggest reinstalling the game.

Figured it out, it was a problem with the engine itself.
blackmantis357

Previous

Return to Custom Asset Help