Blender collision model

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Blender collision model

Postby drscience123 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 am

Hi guys new to modeling, been on interlopers for years for mapping though. I've got this model a friend made and I'm trying to get it into source. It seems like everything is going fine until I get it in hammer and try it out. The collision model seems to goof and go halfway through the bottom of the model. When I export they are lined up, but when I re-import what I just exported its halfway through the ground. Does anyone know whats going on?

another slight issue I'm trying to figure out is when I compile the model it's all ways looking for "material.vmt" instead of what I wanted it to be. Is that a .qc problem? Thanks guys hope someone has seen something similar to this.
drscience123
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Blender collision model

Postby Stormy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 am

Could you paste your .qc here please? I think it looks like the model origins in blender might be messed up, also since some of your reference model is exposed, studiomdl might be compensating for it by extending your collision model. Post qc.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby drscience123 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 am

Sure thing Black_stormy. I even tried lowering the original model to match the collision one and doing it that way but I get the same result. here is the .qc

$modelname "legends\reaver\zaku.mdl"
$body mybody "zaku.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop combine_metal
$cdmaterials "models\legends\reaver\"

$sequence idle "zaku.smd" // no animation wanted, so re-using the reference mesh

$collisionmodel "zaku-phy.smd" { $concave }
drscience123
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

Well your physmesh isn't concave, so remove the { $concave } bit. It's a cube, which is convex. Also make sure your origins are in the right spot, select your ref mesh, hit shift+s and select cursor to selected, then select your phys mesh and hit crl+alt+c and select origin to cursor. Also try clearing your transforms, (alt+g, alt+s, alt+r) and then re-export.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Minor_Threat on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm

This looks similar to a problem I encountered not long ago. Does the volume occupied by the model happen to be twice the size it is supposed to be? If so, try scaling your collision model by 0.5, so that it is half the size of the reference model, then recompile the model. Worked for me!

On the subject of collision models, I'm trying to make one for a window frame. Being as it is complex, I have been told that it requires that you make it out of a series of separate objects, rather than an all-in-one mesh. The issue with this is that when I select it all and try to export it as an .smd, it only seems to export one object out of the entire thing. It would appear that the object that's exported is the yellow highlighted one, and it ignores the red ones.

Any help would be appreciated.
Minor_Threat

Postby Stormy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 am

Select all the objects for your phys model and hit ctrl+j to join the meshes into one object. As well as being separate contiguous meshes they must be within the same object.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:07 am

On a side note. Is that Mega Man Legends?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Custom Asset Help