$detail texture not working with $envmap texture?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

$detail texture not working with $envmap texture?

Postby oOCaptainCrazyOo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Okay so i have a detail texture and an envmap texture but in the game, with a $detail texture applied, the envmap doesn't show up.

Am i correct in thinking that the $detail takes precedence over the envmap and that i need to "black" some of the detail texture out for the envmap to show through?
oOCaptainCrazyOo

Re: $detail texture not working with $envmap texture?

Postby Armageddon on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:52 am

It's possible because $detail textures are really mediocre replacements for bumpmaps and bumpmaps only work with specular if you embed on in the other.

Also you you should try and $envmapmask texture not a $envmap I think that's what you mean. Check here and maybe try making a bumpmap instead.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$envmap
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: $detail texture not working with $envmap texture?

Postby oOCaptainCrazyOo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:30 am

Armageddon wrote:It's possible because $detail textures are really mediocre replacements for bumpmaps and bumpmaps only work with specular if you embed on in the other.

Also you you should try and $envmapmask texture not a $envmap I think that's what you mean. Check here and maybe try making a bumpmap instead.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$envmap

Ah okay yeh normally i use an $envmapmask texture. It's just that i wish some parts of the specular to be dulled out, i suppose for them parts i should use a value of 0 as 1 seems to give it a mild sheen and for what I'm doing even that's a bit too much.

It's a metal texture so I'd like it to be a little shiny in places but not so much in others. I guess i can just do more trial and error, it's just annoying having to re-build the cubemaps every-time lol.
oOCaptainCrazyOo

Return to Custom Asset Help