Difficulties Exporting Rigged Model from 3Ds Max to SFM

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Difficulties Exporting Rigged Model from 3Ds Max to SFM

Postby reckzilla on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey guys, My name's Morrissey I'm a tech artist at a company and I've hit a wall that just won't go down and hopefully you can help.

As of now I can export models and textures just fine using WallWorm with 3Ds Max and static objects work great. My issue is when ever I try to export a skinned model all that happens is I duplicate of the mesh that is facing down in the Max scene and I get a file that is unusable. I have tried using an SMD exporter and it worked to a point that has allowed me to get an smd with the bone and model information but I don't know how to use the smd so that it works in source or Source FIlmmaker. This project is more specifically for Source FIlmmaker but as long as I can get a working .qc and .mdl I should be able to easily work with that. Thank you all graciously.
reckzilla
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Difficulties Exporting Rigged Model from 3Ds Max to SFM

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:11 pm

I don't know how to use WallWorm very well, but I know that you can turn a SMD and QC file into an MDL by compiling them.

The normal workflow is:
1. Export an SMD from your 3d modeling software.
2. Generate/create a QC file that describes how you want your prop to behave & list all asset inputs.
3. Compile the QC file into a working prop.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby shawnolson on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I can help explain this but need to see the original file to give a good answer. Generally speaking, problems with skinned models are either 1) XForm not reset on the mesh or 2) Unweighted vertices.

Here is a helpful page talking about CAT and Biped Rigs. The article is only partial and not giving step-by-step instructions on exporting a skinned/animated model. I've got some videos on animated models but they are all out-dated. I will try to update them soon.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby reckzilla on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 am

Thank You for the replies.

SM Sith: For creating the .qc would I need to write it myself or is there a compiler that will write the .qc for me so that I can use it with .smd?

shawnolson: I have used that link to help exporting and I still get the empty file type. Will I need to add a sequence even if I am adding no animation?

Thanks a lot guys. I didn't previous stress the importance of this but I do need to ensure that I get this working. Thanks again.
reckzilla
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby kraid on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:45 am

There are a few .qc examples in the SDK files, but i'm affraid you need to learn at least the basics of .qc files.
The .qc are the compiling instructions for the compiler, so there won't be anything that creates this for you.
And since the possibilities are far to high ranging from simple static props to complex characters some even with facial animations, it's not exactly possible to give you anything beside templates which are allready included in the sdk anyway.

Or: you find someone who's experienced in this and kind enough to compile that model for you.
But still you'll need to learn how to do it at some point, at least if you're planning to continue working with Source.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Custom Asset Help