Model request challenge!

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Model request challenge!

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:43 am

Hey guys! Some of you here I have noticed are very good at designing and creating 3D models for the Source engine. For example I noticed someone uploaded a very nicely-done model of a helicopter.

Well, I have a challenge for you modellers out there. My next mapping project will be an antarctica map taking place during night. I want this map to be absolutely spectacular, aesthetically, my finest-looking map yet. But for this to be done, I need a certain model.

The Northern Lights, aka Aurora Borealis, has been a thing of fascination for me the past few years. And in the arctic, they say you can witness it almost every night. I have a 2D-skybox I found on a texture site a long time ago, but while very pretty, it doesn't quite cut it. What I need is a model of the Northern Lights, now this would be a HUGE model, but since it's so high up in the sky, I request that it would be smaller as to fit inside a 3D skybox. It would look BEAUTIFUL. Now I'd prefer if this were done by someone who has actually witnessed the aurora, but if you haven't (I'm not sure if many of you have), that's just fine, model it after some pictures. It could be made of gradient textures of blue, green and red, etc. It would look breathtaking if done correctly.

Now I'm not sure about many things regarding models for Source, but is it possible that this could even be animated? I mean the Northern Lights are, for the most part, fairly static generally, but if they could be animated it would add extreme realism. Just subtle movements.

So, the challenge:

-A (possibly animated?) model of the Aurora Borealis overhead
-Scaled to fit inside a 3D Skybox
-Textured with transparent gradients, should be very simple.

Anyone up to this challenge? I'm not sure how I could reward people, I guess the finished map could be reward enough :lol:

Modellers with spare time, please consider! I just can't model, at all, I can't even grasp the basics so it's out of the question for me to attempt. O and of course there WILL be much credit for the model, and if there's more than 1 submission I'll still credit those which I did not use in the map if any.

Thanks guys!!
I am a big man, and I've got a big gun
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Spas12 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 am

Too much to read, shorten it up next time people have things to do. For the helicopter here: http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewto ... 26&forum=4
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ZenMunky on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:43 am

Just me being picky, but doesnt the aurora move? So your looking for an animated model?

Texture overlay would be easier....
ZenMunky
Pheropod
Pheropod

Location: Running From The Unicycling Giant Screaming Purple Bunnies of Doom...

Postby NonStopableForce on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:51 am

ZenMunky wrote:Just me being picky, but doesnt the aurora move? So your looking for an animated model?

Yes, sounds much more like some werid animated texutres then a model.. and i have saw them...

-NSF
NonStopableForce
Regular
Regular

Postby Athlete{UK} on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 am

NonStopableForce wrote:
ZenMunky wrote:Just me being picky, but doesnt the aurora move? So your looking for an animated model?

Yes, sounds much more like some werid animated texutres then a model.. and i have saw them...

-NSF

You know i wish the HL2 partical system was a bit better. That's probably what would be best suited for this.

Unfortantly you will find most of the Artists round here already have a lot of work on their sholders. for instance i would like to help but i have a ton of stuff for badge of blood to do.

Farles is a good artist but i'm pretty sure he works for a mod as well.

A model of this could well be feasable. I should imagine it would be a similar technique to the combine portal. Alpha transparancy map some nice flowing portals and maybe just a lateral noise animation.

Unfortunatly like i said it might be hard to find someone with enough time to do this. But i wish you the best of luck and hope you find someone :).
Last edited by Athlete{UK} on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:17 am

Farles works for us 8) god bless him and his models
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:22 am

easier just to make a car tho :D or a prop, a car can be a prop also :/ a pyramid is not in HL2 also so we can make a car :D

greets ZybeR
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Postby Wilko on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:44 am

-A (possibly animated?) model of the Aurora Borealis overhead
-Scaled to fit inside a 3D Skybox
-Textured with transparent gradients, should be very simple.

Textured transparency gradients? God, I don't even want to try that one with source. Probably would have to tinker with some alpha junk. I spent an entire hour just getting a stupid transparent texture to work. :P
Wilko
Regular
Regular

Postby ZenMunky on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:11 am

ZybeR | NoT wrote:easier just to make a car tho :D or a prop, a car can be a prop also :/ a pyramid is not in HL2 also so we can make a car :D

greets ZybeR

Zyber gets sidetracked...
ZenMunky
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby im.thatoneguy on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:22 am

Yeah this doesn't sound like a problem that needs, or would benefit from a 3d solution. My guess is a 3d solution would just come out really nasty looking. Besides your movement would cause parallax artifacts inside the borealis, something that most definetely doesn't happen in real life.
Go try out some of 'dem BocaBurgers! It's MMm Mmm good.

http://www.snarkpit.net/maps.php?map=2162
im.thatoneguy
Regular
Regular

Postby ZenMunky on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:28 am

Strange thought... Could you not put the "dust fog" in above the rooftops and shine different coloured spotlights through it at varying angles and tones?

Althought I imagine that would take a long time to make it look spot on...
ZenMunky
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, although it sounds like a plausible theory.
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:34 am

So...no one can help?
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Orion on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:23 am

In my opinion there aren't enough modellers in this community to start a challenge. It sounds more like a request to me.
Orion
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Well so be it a request, then.
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Next

Return to Custom Asset Help