Need help.

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Need help.

Postby KatanaSwordfish on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Hey there, im sort of a noob modeller but im starting to get better, i hope :P. Anyway, im making a model for a friend's map. Its a lantern model that we plan on hanging from ropes. I Have made the model and tried to texture it, poorly, but it works. I am using SOFTIMAGE XSI Mod Tool.

Ok, so first of all. I need help with the bones and stuff. I have put 2 bones in my model so that the top part can move independantly from the actual lantern part. How do i make it so that the bones are restricted to one type of translation? What i mean is, in player models and such they have the rig 'helpers' or whatever they are called (the little floating circles that allow you to move the model). I want the handel of the lantern to bend in only 1 direction and only to a certain extent, in order to give it a realistic animation when it bends. Does anyone know how i could do this?

Secondly, how can i make the glass on the inside of the model transparent in game. Do i need to make a semitransparent glass texture in Photoshop. If so, i can do so with alpha layers correct? Or can i just change the transparency settings in XSI?

Finally, I need help on how to compilemy model as a ragdoll, and bring it into the game. This model is planned to be hanging from ropes and is there something i need to do to make sure that can happen. Also, how do i make the model scaled correctly in game? I have read tutorials on compiling models but i just didnt understand the process. If anyone could send me links to good tutorials or explain it in depth to me that would be excellent.

Also, my aim is katanaswordfish, and if someone wants to help me step by step over aim that would be awesome.

Here are some screenshots of my model in XSI view.

KatanaSwordfish

Return to Custom Asset Help