Starting To Model (Maybe this would be a good tut to have)

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Starting To Model (Maybe this would be a good tut to have)

Postby YokaI on Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Hm, i need to create objects for my map you see, and i really want to know how to start modeling. seems to me that its necisary to get any where mapping. I need to create Fossils and Rocks for my latest map.

Ok, now that im done just bableing without any sort of structures in my sentences (dont ask why my english is so bad sometimes. just happens)

Anyway, I want to know what program would be good for creating basic models along with 3d Player models for beginers to the modeling biz. The time seems right to start to learn. I just want to know how to create bone structures, simple arcutecture, and compiling with textures applied.

If i dont make any sense, please notify me, im tired as hell and ill post more of this tomarrow. With more details, ofcourse. Please try to help me out though ^^ :wink:

ofcourse i know the future of modeling isnt going to be easy, alot of work and determinations. but i am willing to spend all my time doing that rather than being on the forums 24/7.

Yes i have used google too...
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Rick_D on Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:28 pm

I would also like opinions on this, please.
Rick_D
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby slayera on Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:37 pm

For simple detailed stuff, I would recommend milkshape. It can even do character models, on the milkshape site there is tut call CS Girl, and it shows you step by step who to build a model and get it in to CS. Works for HL models too.

But for character modeling would suggest Maya or XSI for better control.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rick_D on Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:29 am

Is there a freeware/shareware/trial version of those latter programs?

(I've had milkshape and didn't get on with it as far as compiling goes - I have a buddy who is the fucking shit at modelling but he hasn't been able to get a milkshape model into HL2? Is there a tutorial that'd work for him/me?)
Rick_D
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby slayera on Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:31 pm

Once you can export a .smd then the model work is done. After that you need to write up a .qc file. There is a ton of info on hl2world.com and SDK docs about creating one.

All the programs I mention have demo or lite version. Maya is called Maya PLE or something like that.

You can also get a full free copy of trueSpace 3.2 from http://www.caligari.com/ but you will need something like milkshape to import/export the model.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rick_D on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:25 pm

Thanks, You're a fountain of information :wink:
Rick_D
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Custom Asset Help