Beta Testers Collective: Looking for tests

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Beta Testers Collective: Looking for tests

Postby Major Banter on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 am

Sup.

I've been working with Phillip of PlanetPhillip fame to get the Beta Testers Collective back up and running. It's basically QA and beta testing by the community, for the community. There's plenty of minor to major errors in maps and mods, and we're building a team to help you spot them and fix them. I'll bore you with the full details when I roll out the PR machine.

While we've got a feedback forum up and running, we're having our own beta test of it. If you've got a map or mod kicking around that could be tested, shoot me an email at betatesterscollective@gmail.com, whether 'just cause', or because you're interested in the service we provide, or want a genuine test of your work.

If you've got a serious request and want to make genuine use of our service, I'd also be interested in noting you down for a later date.

Your content will be in safe hands, naturally.

Again, that's betatesterscollective@gmail.com for all enquiries.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Beta Testers Collective: Looking for tests

Postby kraid on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am

Sounds interresting.
But how are you going to make sure that the content is in safe hands?
What if one of your testers decides to leak stuff or gets hacked?
Are you going to charge money for the service?
What if the mod is Multiplayer and needs servers to be tested?
Are you going to test only source maps & mods or also other stuff?

Do you have any references yet?
Why exactly has the Beta Testers Collective been down?
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:32 am

kraid wrote:Sounds interresting.
But how are you going to make sure that the content is in safe hands?

The testers are well known by either me or Phillip. We trust our testers not to leak content; it's bad for business.
kraid wrote:What if one of your testers decides to leak stuff or gets hacked?

Our testers won't leak anything, and the chances of people besides testers getting hold of the content is nil. The content will only be available on an secure forum, and tester's HDDs.
kraid wrote:Are you going to charge money for the service?

Nope. Completely free; the only cost is that you credit the Beta Testers Collective.
kraid wrote:What if the mod is Multiplayer and needs servers to be tested?

We can provide a few testers to fill a server during a general test depending on time constraints, but we don't provide server slots. You can however usually sort that out with the help of Interlopers members who regularly conduct CSS/CSGO map tests. Equally, we can test the map's aesthetics, flow, clipping, look for glitches etc. etc. by ourselves.
kraid wrote:Are you going to test only source maps & mods or also other stuff?

The main focus is Source mods and maps. Source is the community the testers know well, along with the engine and games. We may expand into asset testing at a later date and other games, but for now it's Source.
kraid wrote:Do you have any references yet?

We're chasing people we did tests for previously. I'll get back to you on that one. If you're desperate for a quote I can get you in touch with someone, but really we need references from people using the new feedback system.
kraid wrote:Why exactly has the Beta Testers Collective been down?

The old BTC did reasonably well for itself, but as Phillip became focused on other projects, he couldn't keep up the PR on the BTC. This led to barely any tests coming in and the BTC was abandoned. I picked up the project earlier this year with the intention of reviving what I think is a brilliant idea.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:19 pm

I never really saw the BTC as something that ever truly died. I thought it is more like a "here when you need us" type of project. If nobody needed testing then the collective was inactive. But at the drop of a hat, the collective could be assembled to test something, provide feedback and follow-up testing, and then recede into the shadows to wait for more work. The collective does not need constant work in order to exist. It just needs a team of on-call testers.

I actually DO agree that it needs constant PR in order to receive work. Maybe all of the Interlopers who are in the BTS have a link in their signatures to identify themselves as Phillip's official BTS cadre. The link would go to the BTS website (maybe create a new video that highlights the testing process step-by-step) and then a few testimonials from previous users of the service.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kraid on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks for the answeres.
Maybe i'll need some testers for a UDK project in the future, so i might come back to you.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Game Development