Game Development Workspace

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Game Development Workspace

Postby D3aGL3.Uk on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to start working on a project, the first step of which would be to start documenting. I have been looking around for a good (free) website with a wiki style main page so I can break it down into sections. I came across Assembla where the wiki page is pretty perfect but you have to pay to use it.

Seeing as I am not looking for code management or productiveness flowcharts it comes down to just having a good document/wiki style website to use for the first steps. I thought about GoogleDrive with folders to break it down, but I would prefer to have something with the file structure on the left and the document on the right so it is easy to navigate and control (Pretty much JUST the wiki section of Assembla).

Just wondering if you guys use anything to write down ideas and to get the ball rolling which is similar to what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance guys, you never let me down! :P
Tom
D3aGL3.Uk

Re: Game Development Workspace

Postby Dr. Delta on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:00 am

For smaller projects I find it the easiest to just have a dropbox folder, with a logical folder and file structure, filled with .docs, .txts, images, etc. If your project is bigger a wiki can help out, but from what I heard maintaining a wiki takes a lot more work than you expect; and you maybe want to be sure that it is worth the time you invest.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:44 am

Or, if you are not aiming for a professional set of documents, onenote works wonders too.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby marks on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 am

I hate onenote with a passion. I find that physical notebooks work well enough for small project stuff. They also allow you to get the hell off your computer, its much nicer being able to work outside / in a library / coffee shop every now and then.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Return to Game Development